Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
probook 6570b
Linux

I know HP laptops commonly have "whitelists" in the bios that only allow use of certain wifi cards. 

I ordered a new AC card for this system, only to find out it might not even work. pls let me know

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You might be lucky.

Some of the notebooks with 3rd gen core processors don't have the whitelists.

I know the dv6/7-7xxx with the 3rd gen Intel core processors don't have any whitelists.

You'll know soon enough.

If the notebook has a whitelist, you will get an unsupported wlan card error when you boot up the PC, and the PC will not go any further until you remove the wlan card.

If you get an unsupported wifi card error, then your only option other than using an external USB dual band AC adapter, would be to install one of the supported wifi cards listed in the service manual for your notebook.

The card must also have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You might be lucky.

Some of the notebooks with 3rd gen core processors don't have the whitelists.

I know the dv6/7-7xxx with the 3rd gen Intel core processors don't have any whitelists.

You'll know soon enough.

If the notebook has a whitelist, you will get an unsupported wlan card error when you boot up the PC, and the PC will not go any further until you remove the wlan card.

If you get an unsupported wifi card error, then your only option other than using an external USB dual band AC adapter, would be to install one of the supported wifi cards listed in the service manual for your notebook.

The card must also have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

HP Recommended

Yay! I won! 😄  Thank you!

(for the curious: I got Intel 7260.HMWG.R Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and it works.)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is great news.

If anyone with a Probook 6560b tried that, they would not have won.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.