Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello ifonly.  I understand you're having some trouble activating your wifi via the wireless button.

The wireless button works a little different in Windows 8 than it has in previous versions of Windows.  It turns on/off Airplane Mode.  This means it affects all wireless radios and not just the wireless card.  In order to get the wireless button to activate the wireless try the following.  

1. From the Metro view type "wireless."
  2. You should then see "settings" on the right.  Select this and it will populate many wireless related items on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select "wireless" from this section.
  4. You should see a few options.  One being "Airplane mode" and the others being an on/off switch for bluetooth and/or wireless. 
  5. Ensure that both of these are turned on while airplane mode is off.
  6. Save changes and reboot.

This should allow you to activate the wireless card via the F12 function button.  Let me know if it works.

If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name.  This gives me Kudos and I really appreciate it!

I hope you have an excellent day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

One trick worked for me.

First i uninstalled the HP Driver Button software which was suggested.

Then i  uninstalled the Device driver for Wifi.

Restarted my System

And then it  found a device as an unknown device. and it self took its default drivers and started working.

Hope it helps !!!!

HP Recommended

Your fix does not work. I tried this weeks ago and the problem persists. Other PC's, iPods, Phones within feet of me are able to access the wi-fi while this HP ENVY m6 persistently drops off the wi-fi. To get back on, I must uninstall the driver and let the operating system find the hardware. How cumbersome for a new product and a new piece of equipment. Then to add insult to injury I am told by tech support that I must PAY for tech support! This is a CHRONIC problem with Windows 8 machines. I regret buying this thing!

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy M6 running Windows 8 (bought it six months ago).  I just recently began having an issue with the wireless button (f12) being able to engage Airplane Mode, but not disengage.   I tried a hard reboot and rolling back the driver to no avail.  I then did a network check through HP support assistant.  It came up with "no issues", but I immediately tried the button again and it worked!  Since I had left the device with an older version of driver, I immediately updated.  The button quit working again.  So, I tried the HP network check again.  Just like the first time, it said "no issues", but just like the first time, the button miraculously started working again (FYI, it didn't indicate that it was resetting the network adapters).  Go figure.  Anyway, that's my two cents and hopefully others may find this "solution" works for them.

Cheers.

PS.  I believe someone on this forum may have mentioned bluetooth needed to be turned on.  I don't think that has anything to do with this issue and to that end, I should mention that since I don't use bluetooth devices, I have removed those associated drivers from this computer.  Therefore my bluetooth is most definitely turned off.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP laptop Pavillion SLeekbook 15 PC.

I tried all steps and it still can't find any networks. What can I do? 

HP Recommended

HI Tracy4,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your query.  I will try my best for you!

I understand you are unable to detect any networks.  Here is a link to Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎  You can also run the HP Support Assistant to aid with updates and resolving issues.   You can run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to look for any hardware issue.  Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

buddy u still having the same problem? cause i just fixed the same problem yesterday so i would be glad to help.

HP Recommended

I am having this exact same problem with the same model computer HP Envy M6.

The wireless button f12 turns airplane mode on/off but doesn't trigger the signal. All the drivers have been downloaded and updated and I have pretty much tried everything here. I don't have access to an ethernet.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Very simple, I can not use F12 button as your previous instruction. But by this way, I can solve the problem.

Open network and sharing center => Change adapter settings => Wifi: right click on the mouse=> choose Enable=> Done

HP Recommended

This is NOT the cause of my problem! This machine SUCKS! The wireless is UNSTABLE and it has NOTHING to do with Airplane Mode! When will HP and/or Microsoft figure it out? No wonder so many people are flocking to Macs!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.