Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G8 Notebook PC (347S5AV)

Hi, I recently picked up an HP 255 G8 and I had to reinstall Windows 11 because it was acting up (it would randomly lag) and from there everything was fine. Well, almost. While all of the other devices were working properly, the WiFi card was insanely slow (peak speed is a whopping 24Kbps before dying). I tried all the drivers I could find and since then it has slightly improved but it’s still slow because YouTube videos would stop at 720p or higher and downloading files is a nightmare. I couldn’t find official links to download drivers on HP’s website nor Realtek’s. BIOS has not been updated. What can I do? Specs are the following;

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700U
  • 256GB M.2 SSD
  • AMD Radeon Vega 8
  • RTL8852AE WiFi card

Edit: BIOS has been downloaded from Windows Update and I installed it 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is a peer-to-peer forum.

I do not work for or represent HP, so I can't answer any of your questions regarding what HP does.

If you select the plain W11 option or the W11 22H1 from the drop-down list on the driver page, you get W11 drivers.

You only get the cloud recovery tool option if you select W11 22H2, which I guess means that HP hasn't uploaded any drivers for the latest version of W11 yet.

If Windows Update installed this Realtek driver version, I do not recommend using the one I gave you because the one from the Microsoft update catalog is even newer than the HP driver I gave you.

Microsoft Update Catalog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the driver page for your notebook:

PC notebook HP 255 G8 Download di software e driver | Assistenza clienti HP®

There is a newer driver for the Realtek Wi-Fi card than what is on your notebook's support page.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp142001-142500/sp142328.exe 

HP Recommended

Why does HP store the drivers on their servers but hide them? I installed a driver from Windows Update that gave me decent enough speeds to watch videos without them stopping to load but download speed is still slow. I’ll try installing the driver from the link you gave me.

Also, if I select Windows 11 as my OS, it’ll just find the HP Cloud Recovery or something, but it will find drivers when selecting Windows 10. I get that Windows 11 is reskinned Windows 10 and drivers would work the same but separating them might create confusion, at least in my opinion.

HP Recommended

This is a peer-to-peer forum.

I do not work for or represent HP, so I can't answer any of your questions regarding what HP does.

If you select the plain W11 option or the W11 22H1 from the drop-down list on the driver page, you get W11 drivers.

You only get the cloud recovery tool option if you select W11 22H2, which I guess means that HP hasn't uploaded any drivers for the latest version of W11 yet.

If Windows Update installed this Realtek driver version, I do not recommend using the one I gave you because the one from the Microsoft update catalog is even newer than the HP driver I gave you.

Microsoft Update Catalog

HP Recommended

Mine was a rhetorical question, but I understand that you do not work for HP and can't answer it. 

Windows 11 is basically a reskinned Windows 10 so even if there aren't drivers under Windows 11 22H2, 22H1 drivers or even Windows 10 drivers should work fine. I still think that separating builds creates confusion though.

Have a nice day or night.

HP Recommended

You have a nice evening too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.