Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15s-fq1055tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a wi-fi provider that have a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz speeds. 

I have the 5 GHz working on my mobile and tv. However my laptop only shows the 2.4 GHz. All are connected to the same modem on the same network. I get speeds of around 90 Mpbs on my mobile and tv, however on the laptop around 30 Mpbs.

When opening my Wi-Fi settings on my laptop it doesn't show the 5 GHz. Only the 2.4 GHz.

Any help will be appreciated how to get the faster setting on the laptop.

Cheers.

Pedro from Australia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Pedro.

Yes, buying a USB wifi adapter is easy to do.  Simply insert it in a USB port and it is even possible that Windows will automatically install the drivers for it.

Otherwise the device will come with drivers or a link where you can download them from the hardware manufacturers support site.

The first choice is not inferior to replacing the internal card, but some folks are sticklers for not wanting to have to use thier USB ports for wifi adapters.

Actually the Asus 1200 would provide faster wifi speeds than the internal card I recommended, which is the only one you can upgrade to internally, and have both the wifi and bluetooth work.

So, use the internal wifi card for Bluetooth, and the USB adapter for wifi.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Pedro:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it comes with a 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo wifi adapter.

HP Notebook 15s-fq1055tu Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Anytime you see a wifi N adapter spec that ends with b/g/n, that means it is a single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi adapter.

Dual band wifi N adapters have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

Your PC has the Realtek RTL8723DE wifi adapter, which is a single band wifi adapter.

You have two options to get dual band wifi:

1. Purchase a dual band USB wifi adapter.

2. Replace/upgrade the internal RTL8723DE card with this model...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express.  I see an Intel card listed as the first one on the eBay listing, so don't buy that one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the original wifi card on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

I cannot find a service manual for your notebook.

The ones on the support page don't match up. 

The manual for the Model numbers: 15-dy0xxx, 15t-dy000 model series may be the closest one to yours.

That is the last maintenance and service guide listed on the page.

HP 15-f1000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, Thank you very much for your reply and explanation on ways to solve the issue.

Please allow me to ask you a couple of questions regarding the two alternatives you gave me.

As my knowledge of computers is next to nothing, I assume the first alternative to purchase a dual band USB wifi adapter is the easiest one since it's just a matter of connecting the adapter to the USB port in the laptop. So, my question is, once this is done is it easy to have the adapter working or does it requires any special knowledge to install it?

I saw this adapter for sale online: ASUS AC1200 Dual-band USB Wi-Fi Adapter. I assume this is what you are suggesting,

Is the alternative of the USB wifi adapter inferior to the second alternative of replacing the internal card?

I would appreciate very much your input and thank you again for your time.

Cheers. Pedro

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Pedro.

Yes, buying a USB wifi adapter is easy to do.  Simply insert it in a USB port and it is even possible that Windows will automatically install the drivers for it.

Otherwise the device will come with drivers or a link where you can download them from the hardware manufacturers support site.

The first choice is not inferior to replacing the internal card, but some folks are sticklers for not wanting to have to use thier USB ports for wifi adapters.

Actually the Asus 1200 would provide faster wifi speeds than the internal card I recommended, which is the only one you can upgrade to internally, and have both the wifi and bluetooth work.

So, use the internal wifi card for Bluetooth, and the USB adapter for wifi.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

Thank you heaps.

Pedro

HP Recommended

Anytime, Pedro.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.