Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion g7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On this noteook, Pavilion g7, running Os: Windows 10, the WiFi used to work well. However after the last Windows update a day or two ago the WiFi disappered  and could not be discovered. On the Device manager checking for Network Adapters it shows when showing alldevices including those hiden: Microsoft Kernel Debugging Adapter and Realtek PCIe FE Family ccontroler. I can connect to the Internet by hard wire. The Ralink RT 5390 which originally could e seen in the Device Manager is no longer there.

I searched for an ansuer in this forum and downloaded the driver and installed I also tried to reset the winsock following the instructions I found when I searched this forum under "Ralink RT5390 not working after win 10 update," but had no success. 

How do I get the WiFi adapter to e recognized and How do I get it to work?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sadnewbie

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Sadnewbie,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

a. Press Windows key from the keyboard.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c. In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d. Click on “Internet Connections”.

e. Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f. Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Network Adapter Settings on the computer. It also checks if the network adapter drivers are up to date or not. It may also provide you some clue about the hardware failures happening to the Network Adapter. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

a. Press Windows key keys from the keyboard.

d. Click on “Network Adapter”.

f. Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette

Thanks for you prompt answer, but still no wireless adapter found by the notebook. I know it is there the Ralink RT5390. I have physically check that the adapter is there.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

a. Press Windows key from the keyboard.

When I type “Troubleshooting” it takes me to directly to “Troubleshoot”

Nowhere to click on “View All”

d. Click on “Internet Connections”.

I find the “Internet connection” under  Get up and running section.

No “Advanced” therefore no way to “Run as Administrator,” just the “Run the troubleshooter” so I click on that and it proceeds. When it completes it just tells me the connecting cable is not plugged. So it finds the ethernet network adapter. Of course if I hard wire it I can get Internet, but that is not my problem. It can't find the WiFi adapter and make it work.

Step 2: Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter 

a. Press Windows key keys from the keyboard.

d. Click on “Network Adapter”.

Same result as above.

No “Advanced” just “Run the troubleshooter,” so I did.

After completing, it tells me that the cable is not connected. No other adapter is recognized. So NO wireless only if I hard wire. Only connector found is the ethernet one.Still no wirelessadapter found.

Hope this helps get me on the way to solve the problem. And again thanks for your help and assistance.

HP Recommended

@Sadnewbie,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you run a test on the network adapter and check.

Follow steps in the below artilce to run the hardware test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The-Fossette,

Thankyou for your interest and help.

I had to download the HP Diagnostics from HP site and installed it in the notebook. Then ran the test on the network but it only dicover the wired adapter: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, all test passed.

But No Ralink RT5390 appeared. So there were no tests for it.

Does this mean the adapter is dead and needs to be replaced?

And if so what do you replace it with?

Or do I need to find a way to wake it up I know the drivers and the WHQL are installed. Is there something else I need to  do to install the adapter so it can be seen by the system?

Again thanks for your help.

Sadnewbie

HP Recommended

@Sadnewbie,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Goto device manager, and check for anything listed under "un-known device". If yes, right click on it and try updating the driver.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Barachiel,

Following your suggestion opened Device Manager. Epanded one by one each of the entries. Under Software Devices found one listing as: Wi-Fi; clicked  properties: it read "Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45) To fix the problem reconnect the device to the computer." 

Turned off the notebook, disconecter the power adapter and removed the battery. I took the back cover out and the adpter is there in place.I know the Ralink RT5390 adapter is there. 

Replaced the cover, didi not dicker with any component there.

Is There a driver or program I should install? Or my fear of the adapter being dead is confirmed?

Thanks for your help and assist.

Sadnewbie

HP Recommended

@Sadnewbie,

Thank you for the response.

I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Keep me posted,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, this sounds exactly like the problem I am having. How did you solve it?

The adaptor iz there in hidden devices with a code 45 error. Where can I find the driver update or do I need a new adaptor?? Help please

HP Recommended

I don't remember quite clearly how i solved it but you may try:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

where there are drivers for it.

Also I seem to remember going to Media Tek which owns Ralink and searching there for a driver for the Ralink RT 5390 drivers.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I dont have more info for you.

Sadnewbie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.