Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The laptop is working normally with everything apart form the connection to the internet. Now, instead of there being the normal wifi icon next to the battery icon at the bottom right if the screen, there is a globe with a small stop sign next to it. I have tried doing a system restore, a network reset and a general restart with no success. Trouble shooting can’t detect a problem. I can see the WiFi I want to connect to and it does connect but says ‘no internet, secured’. Thanks for any help. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Jdavies2424

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

By any chance are you able to connect to other Networks or do you have other devices that are connected to your Network?

Are you able to go online with an Ethernet?

Try reinstalling the wireless driver from device manager

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Network Adapters and expand the List
- Look for Wireless driver then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click the Wireless driver and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Try connecting to your Network and let me know how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I have performed the above actions and several more obtained via internet. None solved the problem. Ethernet connection is not available. Also one of my attempts was to manually enter an ip address. That did not correct the problem, but did change the error message.

HP Recommended

@Jdavies2424

Since the Ethernet connection is not available to download drivers, at this point I suggest you perform a Reset

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Krazy, resetting the computer did not resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

@Lee141

Do you have other devices connected to this Network?

Have you checked with your ISP? I suggest you give check with them first since Ethernet as well is not working

Keep me posted

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, an HP Stream laptop, and  Pavilion 23 desktop. Both operate properly on this network.

HP Recommended

Additional note. I considered there may be a problem with my building's WiFi network and had our maintenance manager reboot the router/modem, it didn't help. I took this laptop to a friend's location and was able to connect to the internet. I had this problem with my Stream notebook in the past and putting it online elsewhere cured the problem. I will take my laptop to another friends location and if it goes online I will attempt a driver update. I'll let you know if that cures the problem.

HP Recommended

@Jdavies2424

Keep us posted 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.