Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Sleekbook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just about had it with my computer, honestly. Just recently, in the past month or so, my computer has started putting my wifi into limited. For no reason. Yes, I have tried all the fixes on the main post. Yes, I've turned off the 'allow disabling' of it. It just is a mess. 

Not only will it go to limited, but it will completely hard lock my computer (but only sometimes)

I didn't really connect the two until recently, because I realized it always happened once the limited showed up on my wifi.

I have no idea what's causing it. I've made sure it's no viruses, and I still have no clue. I really want to fix this. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good news! I was able to fix it! I looked up as many fixes as I could, and somehow tried several things ad one of them worked. I can't remember exactly where I got these fixes from, but one of them consisted of unchecking the 'turn off this device to save power' on the usb root hubs. 

Along with that, I reset my router and re-turned off the 'turn off this device to save power' when I reset my wifi adapter driver. I'm not sure which it was... but my wifi hasn't gone out for a full 15 hours. Hurray!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Makota,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the WiFi dropping. I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Product number is D8X45UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hi @Makota,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The following pages are helpful when troubleshooting wireless connectivity issues.
Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 10)

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right-click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget a Network (Windows 10)
Forget Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right-click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the Winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right-click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self-explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have already tried these, and none worked. I do believe connecting to another network does the same thing, but I'm not exactly sure. 

I have just now gone to update drivers, then browse list of drivers, and hopefully installed a bit of an older version, since there were no new versions out. I'm hoping it'll work.

HP Recommended

Hi @Makota,

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately... it absolutely did not work. Now I'm thinking it might be some type of virus but I have no idea what's wrong. Luckily it's not freezing up right now, just the wifi is constantly going to limited. Which, at least it isn't freezing. But still, I have no idea how to fix this...

HP Recommended

Hi @Makota,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Good news! I was able to fix it! I looked up as many fixes as I could, and somehow tried several things ad one of them worked. I can't remember exactly where I got these fixes from, but one of them consisted of unchecking the 'turn off this device to save power' on the usb root hubs. 

Along with that, I reset my router and re-turned off the 'turn off this device to save power' when I reset my wifi adapter driver. I'm not sure which it was... but my wifi hasn't gone out for a full 15 hours. Hurray!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.