Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook (2014)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop wifi only had one frequency, and no bluetooth.  I want to upgrade to dual frequency, and bluetooth.
I installed Intel Wireless-N 7260 (7260HMW AN) Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 but the blue tooth is not working.
I do not know if the adaptor card is faulty, or if my laptop is too old to support bluetooth.

I have searched the internet extensively, and cannot find an answer.

Anyone here able to advise please? 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

Did the original wifi card have two antenna wires to connect to the Intel card?

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, it is 15-n098sa

HP Recommended

F4T62EA#ABU

HP Recommended

Hi:

The card you selected...the wifi and bluetooth both should have worked since I assume that your notebook has two wifi antenna cables connected to the card.

Next question...do you see a Bluetooth device manager category?

If so, then you probably need to install the Intel bluetooth driver.

Download Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Intel® Wireless 7260 Family and Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC...

If not, then one of two things is possible...the Bluetooth portion of the wifi card is no good.

For some unknown reason the card you selected, is not 100% compatible with your notebook.

You should have used this part number...you can find the card on eBay by searching by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

There is one thing you can try to get the BT to work...Mask pin 51 with tape.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1615668427292.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, my laptop has 2 antenna cables, and they are connected the correct way round, and I am on the correct BT driver.

I removed the card to see about masking pin 51, but was worried about the tape detaching itself in the socket.

The reason I bought the one I did, is that my son bought one to upgrade his wifi to dual band, and the BT works.  I did some research, and thought it would work in mine.  My son is not local, but when Covid allows us to travel, we will swap our cards over to see if the BT on my card, works in his computer, and the BT on his card works in my computer.

I have ordered a 710661-001.  It was only £12

In the meantime, I remembered I used to have a BT dongle from way way back.  I found it, and managed to get it working.  It is rather large, but will do for now.

I was surprised to find out recently, that I bought my laptop early 2014, and I am saving up for a new laptop for later this year.

Thank you so much for your help on this.  I do appreciate you giving up your time.

Best wishes

Graham

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Graham.

I always recommend the model card I posted for folks that have the 15-n notebook model series with the Intel 4th gen processors.

They have all reported that the card works fine in both the wifi and bluetooth departments.

You will also have much faster throughput with the AC card at a max of 867 MBPS, vice the 300 MBPS you are getting with the 7260 N card.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul.

The card you recommended has been on order for several days, but it is on a boat from China, so is not due for delivery until mid to late April.  I could not find a supplier in the UK.

Graham

HP Recommended

Anytime, Graham.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That's where I ordered mine from for my HP 350 G1.

It was the cheapest source.

I think it took around two weeks to get from China to Illinois, USA.

I was surprised.  I thought it was going to take a lot longer.

Of course with COVID and delays in Customs, things may take longer this year than when I bought mine (pre-COVID).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.