Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp250 G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have learnt a lot from this forum, with much more to go.

One suggestion I read here (cannot remember which thread) was to explore more fully the SevenForums website, EightForums as well. That was an excellent suggestion for information at another level.

I had been of the (incorrect) view that installing Win7 on a disk in UEFI BIOS mode with GPT partitions was not possible. When I did install Win7 on a new HP G6 Celeron machine the messages I saw on the install screens seemed to support this: Legacy BIOS mode, MBR partitioning were all that appeared to be accessible.

This issue also seems to be at the bottom of the "Airplane wifi key F12 won't work, wifi permanently off without power" that has appeared in quite a few threads here.

The SevenForum and EightForum websites contain detailed information on installing in EUFI BIOS mode with GPT partitions. My earlier comments may have been inadvertently misleading, based as they were on the installation messages I had experienced.

The combination of this HP forum and the others I referred to is deeply informative and extremely helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

W7 should activate just fine on any reinstall with an OEM key, as long as the motheboard wasn't replaced.

That would apply to any version of Windows from XP on up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have never installed W7 in UEFI mode before, but this link may be of help to you.

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321097-how-install-windows-7-uefi-mode-usb.html

You will need to disable legacy mode in the BIOS but Secure Boot also must be disabled.

W7 is not compatible with secure boot.

I don't know if you can independently change those settings.

HP Recommended

Yes, that's where most of this information, new enough to me, is detailed.

People may be confused here (I was misled by the initial install screen messages, these appear ambiguous):

1) Win7 is compatible with GPT partitions, it seems, although it does require an MBR boot record

2) following the EUFI/GPT path leads to a screen message such as":"Windows cannot be installed on Partition3" (being the exact partition you have to use, of course). This absolutely threw me - so backtrack, no to using GPT partitions. *BUT* the SevenForum advice is that if you can click "Next" (bottom right of that screen telling you that you can't), then installation *can* proceed !

Somewhat incredible ...

3) I thought disabling Legacy would prevent a DVD Boot install, but as you say disabling Secure Boot in UEFI will allow that boot. Or use a Boot install from a prepared USB stick. It's also not too difficult to edit an install ISO on a USB stick to let the Win7 install recognise the USB3 port - much, much faster. Look around just a bit on using Rufus.

All up, very informative. Fun ... thanks for responding :generic:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What will be great is if you can get W7 installed in UEFI mode and the wifi card works.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

" ... W7 installed in UEFI mode and the wifi card works"

Pretty much ...

Apart from the time factor, what is currently staying my hand here is the unresolved question of "Activation" if I re-install everything as a clean install via EUFI.

I have an OEM key which MS recognised and activated. Will this go through again or does yet another nastygram lie in wait ?

HP Recommended

W7 should activate just fine on any reinstall with an OEM key, as long as the motheboard wasn't replaced.

That would apply to any version of Windows from XP on up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.