Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to change my Atheros wi-fi network card with this  Intel AC 7260.

Somebody can tell my if i need to upgrade my BIOS for my model to install this card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is 3rd generation i7 and all the models without whitelist are 4th and higher generation so you still have it. 

Here's your choices:

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 802.11b/g/n 2×2 WiFi and Bluetooth Combo Adapter 670290-001 ● Atheros HB125 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter (select models only) 675794-001 ● Ralink RT3290LE 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-001 ● Ralink RT5390R 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi (select models only) 691415-001

The clearly best choice but not as good as you had wished:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-670290-001-Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N/dp/B009SOG404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

It is 2.4 ghz only, but is dual stream so should provide pretty good range. 

Don't shoot the messenger. The whitelist was not my idea and nobody is happier to see it go.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

We need the full model number but updating the BIOS will not enable the use of any additional wireless cards. HP did in the past use a whitelist which dictates that you can only use certain specific models and the relevant question is whether your laptop is pre- or post- whitelist. Generally the cutoff is around January 1, 2014 as the build date. 

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion g6-2305sq Notebook PC Nr. model: D4Y49EA Nr. serie: 5CD3107NYL

HP Recommended

It is 3rd generation i7 and all the models without whitelist are 4th and higher generation so you still have it. 

Here's your choices:

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 802.11b/g/n 2×2 WiFi and Bluetooth Combo Adapter 670290-001 ● Atheros HB125 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter (select models only) 675794-001 ● Ralink RT3290LE 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-001 ● Ralink RT5390R 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi (select models only) 691415-001

The clearly best choice but not as good as you had wished:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-670290-001-Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N/dp/B009SOG404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

It is 2.4 ghz only, but is dual stream so should provide pretty good range. 

Don't shoot the messenger. The whitelist was not my idea and nobody is happier to see it go.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Ok, I understand the "problem".....but i want badly to use this card...how can i trick the BIOS to make this working?

HP Recommended

I ask this becuase i just read some opinions about this network card you tell me about, but all have the same problem like mine.

So that's i ask you about trick somehow BIOS to make this Intel working in my system..even my internet provider just put me optical fiber and i want to used at full speed.

Thank's

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.