Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
zBook x2 g4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the wireless module for a zBook x2 G4.

Is this the correct part?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the service manual in chapter 3 and chapter 5, I see no reference to a separate wireless module.

it appears to me that it is an integral part of the motherboard, and if that is the case, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06111498

If the PC is not under warranty, I would recommend you purchase one of those nano-sized USB dual band wifi adapters.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response!

Page 27 of this document lists the form factor as PCI-Express M.2 MiniCard, so I thought it would be modular and not soldered to the logic board.

BUT page 2 of the doc you linked to says Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) options by way of wireless module incorporated onto system board.

So it seems like conflicting info.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Page 11 of the document you posted indicates the notebook comes with an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) WiFi + Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo Adaptor* (vPro).

That is normally a removable M.2 card.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to open up the notebook, and see if the wifi adapter is removable or not.

I have never heard of an instance where it isn't, but with these newer models, more and more stuff is not removable or upgradable.

I just received a new HP Envy x360 notebook, and the memory is an integral part of the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

If you look at the picture of where the wifi card is located, in chapter 5, page 47 you will see two antenna cables attached to it.

There is a procedure to remove and replace the antenna cable assembly, but no procedure to remove and replace the wifi card.  That is my concern,

The part you linked in your original post is for a mobile broadband (WWAN) adapter and that needs a SIM card slot to work as well as a mobile data (cellular) plan, so that part definitely won't work.

If you find that the wifi card is removable, you may want to upgrade it to this model...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax 2 × 2 + Bluetooth 5 (vPro)   HP part # L35284-002

There is a generic non-vPro model as well...

https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-AX200-PCs-802-11AX-Bluetooth-NGW/dp/B07TLBNSZQ

HP Recommended

Yes, opening it up will provide the answer. I was trying to put that off.

Thanks so much for all your help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know what you find.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.