Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dy1018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is so frustrating.  Since I got this new computer, it does not connect automatically to my wireless network.  It used to connect after manually running the diagnostics every time, but that would cause all other connected devices to disconnect during the process.  Now it doesn't even do that.  I have only had this computer for two months and thought that the situation would resolve itself but it hasn't.  I was hoping to uninstall the network device and reinstall it but don't want to do that if I'm not sure that the drivers will be there.  I am so frustrated with this brand new laptop and not sure what to do.  I just want to be able to open it and use the internet like it should.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have read the recommendations two posts down and will try that.  Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

@pixeyness,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the wireless connection on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:

1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)

2. Expand the Network adapters.

3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.

4. Click the Power Management tab.

5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

6. Click OK.

7. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:

1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.

2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.

3. Expand Network adapters.

4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.

5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.

6. Restart your PC and test.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using my son's chromebook to try and follow these instructions and the computer is not maintaining its connection.  I will move on to the 2nd recommendation and keep you posted.  Thank you

HP Recommended

I have done step 1,2,3 and problem still persists.  I am using my son's chromebook to follow as I don;t seem to be getting connected at all and am unable to download the drivers on it.  So frustrating!

HP Recommended

@pixeyness,

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when everything was working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Honestly,  I can't remember it ever working properly but it used to connect after resetting the wireless adapter each time.  But that also disconnected every other device in the house, including the TV.  I will try restoring it to the new date, as this computer is only 2 months old.

HP Recommended

@pixeyness,

Perfect! Do let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still not working properly.  I did a full system reset and when I tried to use the computer today, the internet for the whole house was interrupted again.  I am still using the chromebook instead of my new laptop because now that the home network has reset, I don't even want to check the laptop for fear of disturbing other devices again.  Can this laptop be sent back to HP?

HP Recommended

Now it just says cannot connect.  I have been looking at the Shaw (internet provider) website and it looks like others have this problem with this network card firmware.  This computer is a very expensive paper weight to me at this point.  Please help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.