Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-077cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an old Pavilion desktop 550-077cb that I bought somewhere around 2015/2016, and it has a mini PCIe mini wireless card. It has two wires going to the top, the HP part number is 752597-001. It carries both 2.4ghz Wi-Fi and BT 4.0. 

I've been using this computer with wired internet for many years, but I moved to a new place a couple of months ago and started using Wi-Fi. The thing is, the 2.4ghz band caps at 72mbps, and I could really use the 5ghz band, so I bought a USB adapter that keeps disconnecting, and sometimes the computer won't even recognize it for a few days. So, I want to upgrade the internal adapter instead if possible.  I found some matches online, but many sellers have this note about their adapters not working with HP laptops, so I would like to know if my desktop pc has the BIOS whitelist issue, or if I can go ahead and buy a dual band mini card with BT to replace the existing one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see my reply to your other post at the link below...

Re: Help upgrading wireless mini adapter card for Pavilion d... - HP Support Community - 8253632

HP Recommended

Do yourself a favor and buy an external modern USB adapter.  You plug it in and in a minute, you are working.  Plus, you can use it on any other PC (or Mac) in the future.

I buy models from TP-Link with the HUGE antennae to get better speeds and range.  You can get the T2U Plus (large antennae) for $15 Cdn.  There is a faster t3U Plus (AC 1300) for $19 Cdn.

Check what your router is capable of doing.  If the distance isn't huge, you can get one of the super tiny nano USB wifi adapters for under $10.

HP Recommended

Sadly, that didn't work for me. I bought a TP-Link USB adapter, and no computer in my house would even see it. After a couple of days of trying, I was about to return it when it started working. About 6 weeks later it started randomly disconnecting, and now my pc won't see the adapter again. 

Since the internal adapter works just fine, I just want a decent connection that works. My problem at the moment is the internal adapter only seeing the 2.4ghz band, and the distance from the router, other than that, it does a decent job.

HP Recommended

If might be a problem with your router.

Do you have any issues with any other wireless device?  If so, check your router.

Have you checked the device manager?  Is the wifi adapter listed and showing no problems?

Do you need 5GHz?  The range is less than 2.4GHz. 

https://beambox.com/townsquare/what-s-the-difference-between-2-4ghz-and-5ghz-wifi

HP Recommended

Actually, the adapter sometimes stops working if I either shut down the pc or set it to sleep.  Sometimes it even disappears from device manager. It's a TP-Link Archer AC1900 T9UH. I tried it on different computers, and even an old laptop running Win XP, and none will see it. But when it works, it works fine. I'm fed up with the constant issues, so I want to give the mini card replacement a try.

My AMD Radeon R7 370 graphics card is thick, so I just don't have enough space to try a regular PCIe wireless adapter, that's why I'm trying to find out if an upgrade on the smaller card works better on this old machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.