Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hope to get a bit of advice on why my wifi isnt working, Ive exhausted my knowledge, and hope there may be someone on here who can give some good advice on how to fix....

Yesterday, out of the blue, I started my laptop up HP G56 and it cam back with the internet being not connected, with no connections available.  The laptop has a Realtek RTL8191SE wifi card fitted.

Other devices in the house are connected ok to the router wirelessly, and I have internet connectivity with an ethernet cable direct to the router.

I have so far tried.... (with windows firewall enabled and disabled)

Disabling / re-enabling the adapter.

Uninstalling / re-installing the driver.

Used system recovery to go back 2 weeks to when it was working fine.

In device manager, it says the adapter is working correctly, and if I try to set up the wireless connection in the network and sharing center it shows the wireless as having 5 green bars, but when you click it, it gives the small network "Not connected" box in the lower right of the desktop, this also has the wireless icon, showing grey signal bars with a red "X" next to it.

Also in the network and sharing center, when you click "view full map" it says the adapter is not connected.

Really struggling, so any advice appreciated...

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi

Try this

1) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website.

2) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.

3) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hi Manjunath,

Thanks for the pointers 🙂

I should have mentioned that I had already reseated the card, but it made no difference.

I have also just been through the steps you have listed - updated the Bios, and I re-downloaded the driver (all from the HP Support site) and installed it via the Recovery Manager.

Unfortunately, these steps have still made no difference 😞

HP Recommended

Hello StuyMac,

I have reviewed your thread and I'm going to see if I can offer any extra assistance. I will also try my best to not provide any steps you have already tried.

First, I want you to look at this Microsoft page: How do I fix network adapter problems?

I want you to make sure you have tried all of these suggestions. Going through these steps can resolve the issue, as I have done it myself in the past. If that doesn't help, I would try a manual uninstall and reinstall of the wireless driver. Please try these steps:

1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.

2. Right-click on the wireless driver, and select "Uninstall".

3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself.

If the issue is not resolved, please provide the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Does this occur on certain programs, or all programs?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

Additionally, if the issue just began occurring, I would perform a system restore. I want you to bring the computer back to the earliest restore point possible, in an attempt to dodge whatever caused the issue. Here is a document on how to perform a System Restore: System Restore

Thanks for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day! :smileyhappy:

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks - this solved my problem in minutes!

HP Recommended

SuperMario1 - I just want to say a huge THANK YOU! I made this account just to say you honestly saved my life with this. I tried SO many things to get my internet back and nothing was working. It was the course of over a month. And to think, all I had to do was uninstall the adapter and restart my computer. Anyway, THANKS! Again! You saved me from paying someone to fix it for me. Your expertise is appreciated.

HP Recommended
It helped me too and like you, I created user name just top say thanks bro
HP Recommended
I clicked on network adapters, but which one is my drive? I've got Realtek Controller or WAN Miniports (many of this one).
HP Recommended
Over a 2 wk period, my laptop was not connecting to the internet. I tried a few things, but to no avail.. So I researched it again and lo and behold, today I used your advise Super Mario1, and Voila!!! It worked!!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!! It said you retired, so enjoy your retirement and God bless!! My computer works again!!!( I know this post is a year and 6 months old...it is still truly a very useful and timely troubleshooting advise) THANKS!!
HP Recommended
SuperMario1 I just wanna say thank you!!you saved my life haha:))
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.