Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
i have a hp pavillion 15. i had installed windows 8.1.it asked me to shut down and update but it failed to update. since then my wifi is not detecting any networks. it is showing a red cross on the wireless network icon. i thought it was a windows problem and then installed windows 10. the problem is still persisting. i have read all stuffs through the web but none of them is working... i also tried troubleshooting but it's telling me something to do wireless adapter or access point. someone help
HP Recommended
Please HELP!
This is the 2nd time our computer has done this. My husband ran some updates last night and after the computer restarted, it said 'there are no internet connections' with a big RED X over it!
Ugh!
We have had sooooo many problems with this computer and it's only 15mos old.
Can anyone PLEASE help!!! We use this computer daily!!! I don't want to start following any of these suggestions in case it's not the right solution for our computer model.
That model is: 15-1018dx

Thank you!!!!
Rachel
HP Recommended

I had a similiar issue earlier tonight. I was downloading a game to play, when I got a fuzzy blue screen and the computer restarted. Once it restarted, it would not pick up any wireless connections. Upon further investigation, it was saying there wasnt any wireless devices installed. Panic set in, as the laptop is not even 2 weeks old!

After various restarts of the laptop and my router and modem I still had the issue. I tried a bunch of different things that the support forums suggested ( note I had to plug into my ethernet). Finally, I found the page that scanned my computer and found the exact model.

The solution was to do a hard reset of everything. So I did a hard reset:

A) Hold the power button until laptop shuts off.

B) Unplug any periphial devices (mouse, keyboard, printers, etc)

C) Unplug power cord and remove battery.

D) Depress power button for 15 seconds

E) Replaced battery and plugged in power cord

F) Turned computer on. ( do not plug in the peripial stuff yet). Let windows load, you may need to use the arrow keys to tell windows to start normally. I didnt need to.

G) Once windows loads. plug in the periphials one at a time. RUn WIndows update and HP assistant updates.

I unplugged the router and modem and waited 10 seconds or so, until the network disappeared from my other compter. I plugged them back in and made sure the network was working before I turned the computer back on.

The soultion worked. It was showing that I had wireless device and all is working. I'm not a technical expert, but I know that when you turn your computer off, it doesnt truly turn off, some of the memory exists. I assume that it remembered the event that caused the wireless to stop working. Once it lost the memory, everything works fine.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended
I literally just made an account to say THANKYOU FOR THIS !!!!! You saved all my time at school . I thought everything was over with because I couldn't access my google with all my work on it . Thankyou again life saver 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Freechylde!  That had my HP back up in 5 minutes. Much better than uninstalling critical files, lol.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.