Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Have proceeded with purchase off ebay as per your recommendation & thankyou for your patience in assisting in resolving this issue

HP Recommended

Computer:  dv6-7250ca (ENVY)

Erico, thank you for pointing to a possible solution for me.  My HP notebook computer has been providing excellent service and I did upgrade the OS to Windows 10.  The existing NIC is the original, an Intel Centrino 2230, and it works with no issues under the new OS but I need to upgrade the NIC for dual-band operation.

According to the service manual, the Centrino 6230 is not only compatible with the dv7 computer but also  with my dv6 series.

I have an opportunity to purchase this NIC; so, can you confirm that the driver you suggested to the other user would also work for me?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@samurai-73 wrote:

Computer:  dv6-7250ca (ENVY)

Erico, thank you for pointing to a possible solution for me.  My HP notebook computer has been providing excellent service and I did upgrade the OS to Windows 10.  The existing NIC is the original, an Intel Centrino 2230, and it works with no issues under the new OS but I need to upgrade the NIC for dual-band operation.

According to the service manual, the Centrino 6230 is not only compatible with the dv7 computer but also  with my dv6 series.

I have an opportunity to purchase this NIC; so, can you confirm that the driver you suggested to the other user would also work for me?

Thank you.

Yes. 

It is a Windows 10 driver. It will also work for your Windows 10 installation in your dv6 notebook. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks very much Erico.  I will purchase the NIC and report back after it has been installed.

Your assistance is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Erico,

Planning to download drivers, I followed that link you suggested (https://communities.intel.com/thread/59710?start=0&tstart=0) but, although there are Windows 10 NIC drivers available there, I could not find any listed for the Centrino 6230.  I did find some that were listed as compatible with the 6235, which the HP manual indicates is compatible with my model of notebook - but only for Japan.

Thinking that perhaps I simply wasn't looking in the right place, I posted a query there and the reply came back that Intel has no Windows 10 drivers for that particular NIC.

It may be possible that some Windows 10 drivers may work with the 6230, but there is no certainty.  The person who started this thread hasn't reported success and I haven't (yet) found anybody else who has indicated success but, as I have already ordered the NIC and expect to receive it within a few weeks, I will advise what happens when I try it.

I presume that back when my notebook was manufactured, the BIOS contained a whitelist.  If so, the 6230 would likely be my only option (except for the OS being Windows 10, that is).

HP Recommended

Erico,

My new NIC arrived.  I installed it and decided to try it without attempting any driver change or update.

It works!  I am using the same driver that was used with the original Centrino 2230 NIC (Intel 15.11.0.7).  I have not yet tried all the features (e.g., no Wi-Di testing, et al), but I am now able to see and access the network on both bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

FYI, the network speed on 2.4GHz is typically between 115 and 120 Mbps, and on 5GHz it is typically over 240Mbps.

I don't know if there would be any advantage in trying newer drivers, but so far, so good!

I hope this information may be of benefit to others who are looking for a dual-band NIC and improved network speeds for these fine notebook computers.

Regards...

HP Recommended

hello i have also lost the range on my laptops  ability to connect unless i am in same room as router. would this solution work for me. i have tried several options and nothing worked. i updated and rebooted reset and nothing. i have a 2014 H 15 notebook PC model K7W81UA#ABA with AMDA8. could you recommend a wifi card please?

HP Recommended

Do i read this thread correctly.  It seems to say the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 is compatible with the DV6 series.

Or am i reading it wrong?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.