Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000 2610NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I upgrade my HP 2000 2610NR wireless card so that I can use a ac router with 5 GHz?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @mic1289708,

Thank you for the quick reply!

As stated in my previous post, the list provided is all the supported WLAN Modules for your product.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @mic1289708,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the WLAN Module upgrade, and wanted to assist you!

Based on the following guide, your notebook supports the following WLAN Module upgrades:

HP 2000 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide (Chapter 1, Page 4-5).

Support for the following WLAN formats:

● Atheros 9485GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 3012 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

● Atheros AR9002WB-1NGB 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR Combo Adapter (BT3.0+HS ready)

● Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

● Ralink 5390GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter

● Realtek 8188BC8 802.11a/b/g/n 2×2 WiFi and Bluetooth 3.0+HS Combo Adapter

● Realtek 8188GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I have checked all of these upgrades  but none are dual band. Is there a Dual band modual that I can use?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello @mic1289708,

Thank you for the quick reply!

As stated in my previous post, the list provided is all the supported WLAN Modules for your product.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi SDF15,

I have a similar situation - - the hp Maintenance and Service Guide for my particular laptop (model dv7-6c27cl) gives me a list of all the WLAN cards supported when the PC was created.  (All of them only support 802.11b/g/n.)

But since then, there have been BIOS updates from HP, and I've upgraded the OS to Windows 10 64-bit; so the computer isn't the same configuration it started with.  I was thinking (hoping) the OS upgrade would be what would allow/support a Wireless upgrade to a newer WLAN card that supports dual-band AC.

The original WLAN card has 2 antenna connections & my laptop has two antennas, so from that standpoint it looks like my PC should be able to support a dual band-AC card.  (From what I've found in my search for a Wireless upgrade, the Intel Dual-band AC 7260 WLAN card has the same size & shape as the original Realtek card, and looks like it would be a straight-forward, easy swap.) 

Would a WLAN driver update be what is needed to give my laptop the ability to support the newer Wireless-AC band?  Or is it the motherboard connection, which the WLAN card plugs into, that determines the limit in what WLAN cards can be supported?  Or is it some other factor I don't even know about?

Thanks for your assistance!

- jebooker

HP Recommended

This whitelist is a load of crap. the PCIe "mini" and "half cards" bearing the FCC compliance on the card is ALL that is needed to be "compatible". apparently HP seeks to change the meaning of "compatible" to "only what HP wants you to be able to use before forcing you to buy a new system." 

there are requirements placed on tranceivers used in appliances, from WiFi to cordless phones and appliances. in order to be legally sold and operated in the USA they must comply with these FCC rules and when/if they do they receive an FCC compliance. the ONLY reason for w whitelist is to control which after market/upgrades a user can use. we are not talking about some customer satisfaction or even compatibility here. it is akin to Apple and the walled garden. If I wanted this, i would buy Apple. I will be reflashing my NIC (Atheros AR5 btw) to give an "approved" device id and use what I want! this Whitelist needs to be removed! there is no warranty on the majority of these devices ie. DV4/5/6/7 or HP 2000's and despite what may be accepted as gospel, if the system runs the OS and software in a manner and speed found to be accpetable, then it IS. buying a new system every year or even 3-4 is marketing. if you want to, sure, by all means do so, but this whitelist is simply disingenious at best! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.