Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540

printer connected directly to lap top. Has been working just fine. Now all of a sudden, blue light blinking and will still print but at a snail's pace. What's wrong? Nothing was changed. Paper in tray.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @sleuther,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that the laptop is connected to the wireless network. It’s completely fine to turn off the wireless feature. Follow the below steps and check:

• From the printer control panel, touch (Wireless) icon. The Wireless Summary screen displays.
  • Touch (Settings) icon, and then touch wireless Settings.
  • In the Wireless Settings screen, select “Off” for the wireless option.

Let me know if this helps.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @sleuther, Greetings!

Thank you for joining HP Forums. I am happy help 🙂

I understand that there is a blue light blinking on your Envy 5540 printer. Do not worry, there is nothing wrong with your printer. The blue light symbolizes “wireless connectivity”. If the blue light is blinking, it means that the printer is trying to connect to a wireless network. You can turn it “off” since you are connected directly to the laptop.

Touch the wireless icon – settings – Turn off the wireless feature. You will notice that the light is now turned off.

Please let me know how it goes!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dvortex:

where do I find 'settings' at which I can turn off the WiFi on the HP 5540 printer. Blue light still blinking away. Printer connected directly to the lap top which DOES use wifi. Printer has worked fine until now. I see what appears to be a WiFi icon on the small window on the front of the window and tried pushing that but it gave me a new set of instructions which would not allow me to do anything. Give me a break. Printer is less than a week old in my house. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @sleuther,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that the laptop is connected to the wireless network. It’s completely fine to turn off the wireless feature. Follow the below steps and check:

• From the printer control panel, touch (Wireless) icon. The Wireless Summary screen displays.
  • Touch (Settings) icon, and then touch wireless Settings.
  • In the Wireless Settings screen, select “Off” for the wireless option.

Let me know if this helps.

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

DVortex:

I did all that.  Wireless window says "not connected" yet the wireless panel says "on" -- there is nothing that says OFF. Blue light blinking away.  On the plus side, the printer seems to be printing ok again.

HP Recommended

Hi sleuther,

I believe this is the window you mentioned in your above post:

WL.jpg

Just touch on top of "ON" to turn it off. Once you touch on "On", it will turn off the Wi-fi.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Absolute rubbish. YOu need the WIFI ON to connect to the router or the PC Mac!

Turn it off and it is NOT connected

I tried and the printed diagnostic told me so

Some good advice please on how to get the Envy to reconnect to my router via WIFI ( as there are no fixed connection links on the 5020) 

HP Recommended

blue light blinking on HP Envy 7640 and wont print

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  I turned the On to Off on the WI Fi and it is working fine now.  .

HP Recommended

I turned off the blinking blue light, but when I tried to print it did not work, and a red X appeared on the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.