Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ60-224NR
Microsoft Windows Vista

Laptop logs in but is restricted to local access only and internet is blocked by Unidentified network. Have heard I need to update my atheros AR5007 802.11b/g wifi adapter. The version I have is 7.7.0.199. Where can I get the latest update for it? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

This driver will allow you to access both your wireless network and the internet...

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I had already found this & tried but still can't access the Internet wirelessly. I have an Unidentified Network that is blocking my laptop from accessing the internet giving me local access only.  The wireless connection is fine because I can see that the laptop sees (& another laptop is connecting fine). Of course I've searched online for a fix & tried many things but of course nothing has fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

Go to the device manager, click on the Atheros wifi adapter.

What is the driver version and date showing up on the driver tab?

It is possible the driver did not overwrite the old one, and there is an alternate way to get the driver to install.

Because if you still have 7.7.0.199, that isn't the version of the driver I posted (which is 9.2.0.444).

You can see my old blog post regarding having a network connection, and not having internet access at the link below...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Atheros-WLAN-Driver-Fixes-Connection-...

HP Recommended

The version I have now is 9.1.0.328. Originally it did not update correctly when I sent the first post but later I did Update the driver by drilling down to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers and selecting the latest one in the list which was 9.1.0.328. Rebooted but it still has the Unidentified Network & Local access only & the laptop can't access the internet.  On a side note the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter shows the device cannot start. Code 10 but I have went thru disabling & it still didn't help connecting to Internet.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about those problems.

Normally all you needed to do was to install the driver and everything worked.

HP Recommended

Thanks for offering your help.

HP Recommended

Paul,
Thank you very much for that information. I have struggled in vain to connect a HP CQ60-404sa to a DLink router and could not source a Atheros AR5007 driver anywhere until now.  I have been blessed today - thanks to you!
Kind regards and take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.