Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i cannot connect to a 5ghz wireless connection on my router it only sees the 2.5 ghz speed, is there a setting i need to look at? Can this computer connect to a 5ghz wireless router, please advise  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the parts list for your model...

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=J6P02UA

It shows that your model has a dual antenna kit, and a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 HMC combination WLAN adapter.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The wifi card R & R procedure can be found in chapter 6.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04434142

This is important...you have to first confirm that the parts list is correct in that there are two antenna cables connected to the Broadcom wifi card in there now.

A dual band wifi card will not work properly with only one antenna cable.

If there are, you can upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with bluetooth.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon, and doesn't cost much at all.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

Beofre installing the new card, uninstall the Broadcom wifi card and driver in the device manager.

To do that, right click on the BCM wifi adapter in the device manager.  Select Uninstall and check the Uninstall driver box.

Also do the same for the Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

If there is a Broadcom bluetooth software program in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too.

Then shut down the PC, and install the Intel wifi card.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Many HP notebooks can only connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

What model wifi adapter does your notebook come with?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

Once I know that info, I will let you know if it is a single or dual band wifi adapter.

Since nothing special needs to be done to connect to the 5.0 Ghz wifi band, you can pretty much bet that your notebook comes with a single band wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding  I have a Envy 15 laptop with a broadcom BCM43132 802.11 bgn wifi adaptor,  If this is not compatable with the 5ghz signal can i replace the adaptor and do you have a recomendation for a replacement.

Thanks

Tofun

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the BCM43132 802.11 bgn wifi adapter, is a single band wifi card (only works on the 2.4 GHz wifi band)/

What is the product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

I need to know that info to see if you can upgrade to a dual band wifi card.

HP Recommended

hi

the product number is J6P02UA#ABA. Hope this is what you need. Thanks for your help again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the parts list for your model...

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=J6P02UA

It shows that your model has a dual antenna kit, and a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 HMC combination WLAN adapter.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The wifi card R & R procedure can be found in chapter 6.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04434142

This is important...you have to first confirm that the parts list is correct in that there are two antenna cables connected to the Broadcom wifi card in there now.

A dual band wifi card will not work properly with only one antenna cable.

If there are, you can upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with bluetooth.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon, and doesn't cost much at all.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

Beofre installing the new card, uninstall the Broadcom wifi card and driver in the device manager.

To do that, right click on the BCM wifi adapter in the device manager.  Select Uninstall and check the Uninstall driver box.

Also do the same for the Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

If there is a Broadcom bluetooth software program in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too.

Then shut down the PC, and install the Intel wifi card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.