Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Please help! I had bought this HP Pavillion computer with the Windows 8.1 OS and did the upgrade to Windows 10 when it came out. My wifi had been working fine until a couple months ago. Now, I lose connectivity constantly. I have searched forums and tried everything I can find. I have the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter. Nothing is wrong with our router, as all other electronic devices in the house are connecting to the internet just fine. It is located in the same room, and never had issues connecting to it before. I rolled back to Windows 8.1, made sure I had the latest adapter drivers, then rolled back to older versions, tried changing minor settings on the adapter (i.e. making sure the box in Power Management is unchecked). I uninstalled the driver and deleted the software, then restarted. Checked to make sure the wireless encryption is WPA. Is there anything else I can try? I use this computer for my business and need it to work. Nothing I have tried has solved the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jborgwardt,

Thank you for the reply.

Sparkles1 is out of office today. I will follow up your post.

Just want to confirm that if the current version of the wireless network adapter driver is 1.0.0.17 Rev.A sp68120.exe in your Device Manager.

Also please run the component test in the Hardware Diagnostic UEFI for the wireless module:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know if it passed the hardware test.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hi @jborgwardt,

Welcome to the HP forum!  It is a wonderful site to find information, solutions  and seek assistance from the community.

I grasp that after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you lose your wireless capability. You have tried the latest drivers, rolling back the driver  and changing settings, but there was no change. You do not have any issues with other devices in the same room.

As you did upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you can try installing the Windows 8.1 wireless driver using compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode.  This may also help HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10).

Should you like further assistance please provide your exact model of Pavilion 17 notebook and the results from the troubleshooting. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please let me know the outcome.

To assist other community members and visitors in locating the information that resolved your difficulty, please choose "Accepted Solution". This would allow it to be located with greater ease.

Please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below to say thanks for the help.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I am currently using the Windows 8.1 OS. I had upgraded to 10, then had the issues and tried all the different suggestions I could find, with resetting to 8.1 as a last resort. I reset my computer to Windows 8.1 and that also didn't help, but I'm still with that version of Windows at this time.

I tried your suggestion and used the compatability troubleshooter and tried all the listed previous versions of Windows to test it with (8, 7, vista). The wifi doesn't crash as often, but still does. 

If I run the network Troubleshooter for the wifi it usually will come back with "Default gateway is unavailable" and sometimes it will fix it, and most of the time not.

Here is my computer model info:

Product name:HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Product number:J9N56UA#ABA
Serial number:5CD4380KVK
BIOS:F.34-12/19/2014
Keyboard revision:77.35
Total memory:4.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz

HP Recommended

Hi @jborgwardt,

Thank you for the reply.

Sparkles1 is out of office today. I will follow up your post.

Just want to confirm that if the current version of the wireless network adapter driver is 1.0.0.17 Rev.A sp68120.exe in your Device Manager.

Also please run the component test in the Hardware Diagnostic UEFI for the wireless module:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know if it passed the hardware test.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I clicked on the driver link you listed and ran that, and it said there was a new version. But, when I pull it up in the device manager, then properties and click the driver tab, the driver doesn't match what you have listed. It says:

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wifi Adapter

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Driver Date:  02/26/2016
Driver Version: 2023.28.115.2016
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatability Publisher

I ran the wireless components test and it passed.

HP Recommended

Hi @jborgwardt

Please uninstall the driver in your device manager completely, and install the one I offered. I mistyped the version which should be 1.10 Rev.A. Restart your laptop after installation.

Let me know if the driver helps.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok I uninstalled the driver from the Device Manager and checked the box to delete the driver software. I installed the one you provided, rebooted. I checked in the device manager and the version it shows now is 2012.16.523.2014 with a date of 06/20/2014.

Is that right? Or is there something else I'm missing that I need to be doing? Thank you so much for your help by the way! I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere!

HP Recommended

Hi @jborgwardt,

Thank you for the quick reply!

That is good. Please try your wireless connection and let me know if it can maintain on the network now.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok will do. Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

After I installed the driver you gave me, I had two days straight with no connectivity issues. YAY! I did have one day that it kept crashing on me, but now it is working good again for the last day or so. My windows says I have an optional update for the Realtek driver. Should I go ahead and install that or stay with the one you had me install?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.