Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I had speed issues with my WiFi adapter and was able to solve them by making a change on the Advanced Tab for the WiFi Adapter.  It seems that that the auto auto bandwidth setting doesn't work right with my router.  I changed the setting to "20MHz Only" and now it works well and stays connected.  The speed is only 72 MHz, but fast enough for me.

Device Manager.JPG

HP Recommended

My wifi adapter worked great for about a month. Now it is crashing every 5 minutes on me again. I know there were some windows updates recently. Is that the problem? I did not download the optional update for the adapter. Should I do that? I tried it once and it did the same thing, so I went back to the original one that was sent in this thread. Help!

If I run the troubleshooter, it does the same thing again. It says the "default gateway is not available".  It will usually fix it for a few times, but then it gives up and I have to plug in the LAN cable or restart the computer once or twice to get it working again.

HP Recommended

My HP Windows 10 computer has or had, depending on whether my solution remains working, a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter problem in that the adapter would occasionally stop working and shut down. My wife constantly called BrightHouse and Netflix to solve the problem, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it would simply fix itself. We finally determined that the problem was the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. After much frustration, thinking it was a daily upgrade compatibility problem, I finally looked the problem up on line and discovered all HP's have this problem. I tried most of the solutions on the HP solution site to no avail until I ran in to one post that said HP tech support fixed the problem using the device manager, but he did not know what they did to fix the problem. There is where I found the one thing that fulfilled my theory that something was shutting the adapter off.

On a Windows 10 computer and possibly ogher computers, go to the control panel, select devices, select the device manager link at the bottom of the page, find network adapters, select Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter.

In the pop up window, select the Power Management tab. Note that the default is "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". This setting evidently was turning off our Wi-Fi each time my wife was watching Netflix on Wi-Fi long enough to run the battery low thus activating the computer's default in order to prevent damage to the battery. Turning this off mkews us the user the device manager and making us need to be more aware the damage we can do running our battery low.

Unselect "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Next, find you Network setting page link at the bottom of the Internet Access icon pop up list in the task bar at the bottom of the screen, find the x'd out Wi-Fi network you use, double click it and select connect even if you if has automatically connect checked and enter your network key your Wi-Fi provider gave you and your done.

HP Recommended
Please help my HP 15 wireless connection just disappeared. The realtek wifi adapter isn't highlight anymore
HP Recommended

I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 and unable to connect to my network via wifi. 

HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same issue it would appear. Where exactly do I find this driver? I've looked for it on HP's site as well as Realtek's.
HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same issue it would appear. Where exactly do I find this driver? I've looked for it on HP's site as well as Realtek's.
HP Recommended
I just ended up paying 25 bucks for an Intel card off of Amazon works like a charm. It's a shame I have to go and purchase a new wireless card just because I reinstalled windows. Where is your customer support Hp?
HP Recommended
down load sp77549.exe file from HP support and intall it as per ur model no.
problem cleared.
my problem solved
HP Recommended

I have this same issue, did you get yours fixed?  I've been on the phone with my internet provider and they seam to get it working again but the next time I open my computer or turn it back on the wifi is not working again...

What's really weird is I have the same exact laptop at my work and I brought that one home and the wifi didn't work on that one either.  It works with every other device in the house including iphones, ipads, etc... everything works besides the HP laptops.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.