Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Same problem here.

I have a dv6 1010ed and same problem, after installing w7 cpu randomlly get stuck on 100%. No process keeping the cpu too busy.

In safe mode all is fine, so I guess is something regarding driver-hp software.

Is hp going to propose a solution or not ?

HP Recommended

good question i have a m9517c  and the same thing is happening although its not a laptop it does seem to be an hp problem.

HP Recommended

I have a Dv5 that has done that.

It would usually end up crashing.

At present I do not have a solution.

The guy at the HP service phoneline said

Backup everything and reinstall everything.

Sound like a typical Windows answer

rather than a knowledge based approach.

Have yet to see any "solid" replies on this board,

though many helpful efforts.

HP Recommended

Hi, similar problems have been reported at Ask-Leo.com on this post:

NOTE: carefully read the post and all posts from users below it; you may find your solution here--Good Luck!

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_this_high_cpu_usage_svchost_virus_or_whatever_it_is.html

HP Recommended

Sorry---posted twice!

Read this anyway--all the way to the bottom

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_this_high_cpu_usage_svchost_virus_or_whatever_it_is.html

HP Recommended

Having exact same problem, have Pavillion DV7 -1448. How much ram are you using? I am using 4 gigs and an HP tech told me I needed to upgrade to 8 gigs to get rid of the problem. Yea like I have the money to do that after buy the laptop.

ed

HP Recommended

I had the same issue, but I have had my dv4 laptop since October 2008. The problem that I had only started happening when I updated my graphics driver to the newest version trying to fix a crackling sound when plugging the HDMI cable into a LCD TV.

My guess is that your laptop is using the newest updates for the graphics driver, which I think has a bug.

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics Driver

Newest version:  7.15.10.1554 D Current  06-2009

7.15.10.1554 D 02-2009

7.15.10.1554 C 11-2008

Original version:  7.15.10.1502 A  07-2008

After installing the new graphics driver that didn't fix the crackling sound from the HDMI connection, I noticed my CPU usage started to stay at 100% constantly.

Further research into CPU usage showed that igfxsrvc.exe started to utilize the processor constantly causing the 100% usage.

Anyhow with a constant hogging of CPU cycles your battery life will be short.

I tried all versions of the driver back to the original version, that ended up fixing the CPU usage and now  igfxsrvc.exe remains at an idle state.

What version of the driver are you running under Devices > Display Adapters > Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family > Properties > Driver Tab?

Hopefully you are running an Intel 4 Series Chipset.

Anyhow, that was my fix for now.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Got the same issue on a 8510w that worked OK for nearly 3 years. Now it's churning at 100% CPU on random occasions.

As some of you already explained, it can sometimes run fine several days and then get the issue for several days, with no apparent reason. It's been like that for now 6 weeks and it's beginning to become quite annoying...

One point that I didn't see mentionned here is that, it churns 100% CPU only when connected to the power mains. When I unplug it, it instantly comes back to normal. When I plug it again, 100% CPU again. And when docked, it runs absolutely normal. Another detail : it doesnt' charge the battery when undocked, be it running or on standby. I just remarked that and I'm currently testing if it charges when totally turned off. I'll tell you in an hour or so.

Another point is that most CPU, amounting to between 90% and 95%, is taken by system calls, so even with Process Explorer.I can't track them down to any particular process. It would seem that any process that tries to do even the slightest move gets to use some 10 to 20 times its normal CPU usage, which ends up with the machine behaving like an oldtime 386...

I totally remastered it with 3 different xp32 masters, to no avail. Next week I may even try an xp64 master to see if it can help, as it has a totally different set of drivers. But it's my work machine and each time I remaster I loose between 2 and 6 hours' work, so this little joke is definitely beginning to unnerve me !

For now I've not read the other thread that was pointed to. I'll see if I can find an answer there and post a report if anything happens to work for me...

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Updates from the latest post :

- My issue is not the one pointed out by ask-leo, with the Updater service, which is however dated from 2007 and should be inside XPSP3, which I have on my machine,

- Found another troubleshooting guide for 100% CPU issues, that gives some answers. I didn't find anything useable in my case but that may help others :

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/328432_100-cpu-how-to-fit-it-a-complete-troubleshooting-guide

- No charge even when turned off : there might be a battery issue, but I also changed battery to no avail, so the issue may be deeper, maybe with the motherboard itself,

- As no charge even when plugged in, I'm reaching battery zero, so I'll have to postpone further testing until I go back to office and dock the machine...

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Finally found what was going wrong : it was the power supply. I replaced it with a compatible one and all is OK now !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.