Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So after being rudely talked to by one the sites "HP Experts" I have finally completed the Long DST test, as expected it passed.  PSA

20171231_062845a.jpg

As can be seen from the image, I do have the latest BIOS available at the time of writing this post. I also feel that maybe my assumption as it being an issue with the Toshiba drive might be wrong as both devices also use the same PCH I/O bus. Now in order to move forward I would need to move away from the Windows operating system, I do not want to install GNU/Linux on the device nor reformat again. I will attempt and use a LIVE CD distro to test the I/O. If the problem remains it would lead more towards the bus, however I am not certain if using a live cd will provide accurate results as it loads from RAM and does not continuously write to the HDD.

I'm willing to look into this as no other replies have come with a solution on this topic. This would provide without a doubt if it's a process in the operating system causing the problem. Even though the install of the vanilla Windows 10 did remove most bloatware.

Any other suggestions that are not mentioned in this topic are welcome.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
HP Recommended

Hi Dirk

Please know you are not alone! I have 2 x HP laptops as they have always been my prefference.....not anymore.

I am having exactly the same issues as you on both machines (my Envy is just over a year old and has been crap ever since I received it).

PLEASE NOTE HP: If you check my recent order history you will see that I was upgraded to a better ENVY laptop (done at a cheaper price) as the first laptop you sent me was DOA). I only replaced my older HP laptop as I thought it must have been WIndows 10 that was causing it to be so slow. When the new ENVY arrived my heart sank - and so did my bank account. It was slow running Windows 10 right out of the box!

I have done exactly the same fault finding and have tried every possible fix that I have seen on the web, but to no avail. Both my machines are terribly slow (basically useless).

Even when I do a fresh install of Windows 10 without any other programs added like Office etc they both are slow and showing 100% disc usage.

This is obviously a HP issue and they have not put in any effort to to really try and sort it out - just blamimg WIndows 10 for everything or Virus software etc (which by the way I am only using Windows Defender).

Lift your game HP as my loyalty to your product is no more.

HP Recommended

I had all the same with brand new HP. Done all of it. Nothing helped. Finally I baught  an SSD drive and install it. No disk usage at all 🙂 

HP Recommended

Excuse me but as you (HP Employee) mentioned this IS a known issue. From everything I've read and CERTAINLY from what I've experienced it is NOT an issue with software loaded "after the fact". This was happening from the moment I opened this notebook. IF and that is a HUGE "if" HP gave a **bleep**, you would write a update SPECIFICALLY aimed at this issue. I find it extremely hard to imagine that after all this time you do NOT know what the issue is. Either you don't care or you are simply unable to fix it. PLEASE let us know which of these two possibilities this issue represents.

If you can't fix this issue then PLEASE buy this disaster of a product BACK.

HP Recommended

Who are you replying to? I'm the OP and I am not an "HP Employee" as you stated. Everything that I had worked out was on my own time. I decided not to investigate this issue any further. It's clearly something with the hardware, I decided to bite the bullet and just never invest into another HP product. It's a shame because I never had this kind of issue with their rack mount servers that I own.

With this being an issue, I have even gone ahead and removed HP as a TPM and used a different encryption. The phone service is as useless as these forums that seem to just get a lot of copy and paste to external links.

To answer your question, I don't care. I refuse to continue to put my time into trying to resolve this issue.

If you want, you or someone else can continue at where I left off. I did provide a very elaborate post on what I have done.

I will wait to hear back. It was suggested to go with a SSD, I have not tested this. As that would require more time and money for the laptop. Which does not work as intended, I'm not even sure if any of the real HP Employees even monitor these forums. I think they are just volunteers, otherwise I am sure more would have been brought up about this issue.

Which seems that even as of 03-07-3018 is still an ongoing issue. Thanks for keeping the post alive with your concern of the issue remaining.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
HP Recommended

Actually I disagree with the hardware issue. This is a known issue with Windows 8+. I DO agree that throwing even more money into these notebooks is MORE than foolish. As convinced as I am that the issue is a software issue that does not mean HP shouldn't offer the solution. I worked as a staff engineer for a notebook company that has left the space (I'll leave it to you to guess who that was) but when we had issues we'd either offer a solution as a BIOS update or a "patch" written to make the changes necessary. "IF" HP cared to take care of the people that purchase their products they'd dig until they find the solution. That may be difficult but if they aren't up for the task they need to STOP selling notebooks. I've also tried all the BS solutions, "Superfetch", etc. and they are just a waste of time. 

IF this is a hardware problem, I believe it is simply an incompatibility with the hardware selected for this unit and Win10. Maybe that is why HP doesn't seem to give a rats a**, maybe the fix is just too expensive. But yeah I tell anyone that will listen NOT to buy HP computers because they could NOT care less about their customers. The one time I did call they said I'd have to do a "fee for service" transaction to get help. THAT was especially infuriating. I'm just glad other businesses don't operate with us blatant disregard and contempt for their customers. What sort of business model sells JUNK products then gouges their customers for solutions to fix inherent problems???? As I stated I did NOT buy this system from Microsoft I bought it from HP so THEY need to solve this issue!

Oh and I apologize if I misrepresented your affiliation, no malice intended. 

HP Recommended

The only HP Employee replying here was @A4Apollo I assume that it who you were referring to?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

So the solution is to either run our computers with NO antivirus software, or disable items that YOU have enabled when you shipped these notebooks??? "IF" these solutions worked (and they DON'T) why not just create a patch that performs the steps needed and post it?? Too lazy, you KNOW they don't work or disinterested which is it?

HP Recommended

I have read all through this thread with fascination because it describes almost exactly the problems I am having with a new HP Pavilion bought just after Christmas.   The hard drive is running at 95 to 100% all the time (red alert).   In fact, the original drive quite literally wore out in a matter of months and I have just received it back from HP Service UK with a brand new disk drive and all my programs and data gone.    And guess what?   The new disk is STILL running at 100% usage all the time the laptop is switched on.   The laptop came back from HP with a 33 point checklist, all ticked as passed, yet you only have to try to use the computer to realise that it's not happy.

I have uninstalled AVG Antivirus, I have tried killing the processes that appear to be causing the disk to work hardest, and have so far been unable to reduce the disk usage for more than a few minutes.   The laptop has an Intel i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, which everyone tells me is enough to give me excellent performance, yet it is slower and less responsive than my 10 year old DELL (which I am having to carry on using).   I have purchased PC diagnostic and optimisation software to see whether it could make the laptop run any better, but without any success.  

Given that the laptop is virtually unusable, because of the stop-start nature of its operation and the delays in getting it to do anything which involves writing to or reading from disk, I would like HP Support to offer me one good reason why I shouldn't just take the thing back to the dealer and demand my money back.   Why should I invest more time and money putting software and memories on a computer if the disk is likely to wear out and need replacing every four months?

This is a pitiful product which shouldn't be on sale.

HP Recommended

I was having this problem with my old HP laptop when I upgraded to Windows 10.  Like this user, I tried EVERYTHING suggested on tech forums and nothing worked as a permanent solution.  Once the PC was restarted, the problem immediately returned.   Last summer, I wanted a smaller laptop so I bought another HP, and RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX I had the 100% disk usage problem.  Phone support was no help to me, either.   Even though my disc says 100% usage, none of the processes running are using more than a fraction, according to the display.

Every now and then, I do a search to see if any new solutions have been posted.  There are literally thousands of postings with this same problem on the internet, so I'm also surprised (and disgusted) that neither HP nor Microsoft has given it any real attention.  I can't continue to work with this lemon so I'll be buying a new laptop, and it certainly won't be an HP (or ASUS, as those seem to have the same problem).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.