Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

I've got an HP Folio 9470m together with the HP Ultraslim Docking Station (D9Y32AA#UUZ) featuring 2 DisplayPort connectors and a VGA connector. I would like to connect two digital screens to the docking station in extended mode.

First I have tried to connect two screens with two DP to DVI adapters which didn't work. The screens have only been able to be used in clone mode (showing same screen content) but not in extended desktop mode.

Then I thought this might be an issue of DP->DVI converters as the dock might not support this. So I bought 2 DP cables and tried multiple combinations:

- 2x DP/DVI converter cable

- 1x DP, 1x DP/DVI converter cable

- 2x DP native

Unfortunately none of the combinations worked in extended mode. The screen setup always falls back to clone mode. Intel Graphics setup menu also just shows selection between one external screen and "Monitor" (which is the laptop built-in screen).

It actually works in extended mode only if I use 1 DP port and the VGA port on the docking station. So I can work in extended screen mode like this. But in year 2014 it's simply ridiculous having to connect FullHD+ screens via analog VGA. So I would like to know how to use these 2 DP connectors on the UltraSlim docking station.

Even more strange I found that using the DisplayPort connector in conjunction with one of the DP connectors of the dock while docked it works in extended mode. So the laptop is able to handle it. Just the dock seems not to support it (or I got a defective one?).

Anybody able to give any additional hints how to connect two screens digitally to the dock in extended mode?

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I can't seem to find the documentation I found on a forum but the intial batch of slim docking stations WILL NOT allow 2 dp at the same time.  It is due to the architecture of the of the laptop and the docking station.  In order for two dp at the same time, you  will need to buy the 2013 one.  (I will try to find the product number for you).  Their workaround was to use VGA and DP at the same time, which you have already figured out.

Update:

Looks like the page is not found, however, the title says it all.

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?sku=10731964&pagemode=ca

"Alert: Dual display limitations of 2013 HP UltraSlim Docking Station with HP EliteBook Folio 9470m N..."

Update #2:

Found it attached.    Can't upload pdf files

HP Recommended

Oh, first I thought this is a joke but obviousl it isn't.

Meanwhile I have connected an HP EliteBook 850 G1 to the same D9Y32AA docking station and on this notebook both DisplayPort outputs work in dual/extended mode as expected. And even in mixed mode:

- 1x DP-DVI Adapter, 1x DP native
- 2x DP-DVI adapter
- 2x DP native

All modes work fine with two attached 22-inch 1600x1050 screens.

Just the Folio 9470m won't work as expected. Especially looking at the fact that both models use built-in Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU it looks very odd to me that the Folio 9470m cannot handle it while the EliteBook 850 G1 can.

Even more of a joke is that the HP recommends to go for the B9C87AA docking station which actually is identical to D9Y32AA with the exception that it only features one single DP and a VGA port. It would be better to recommend still using B9C87AA with two DP since later change of laptop to a fixed one won't force you replacing the dock again.

Another funny aspect of the document is that it clearly states not to use the DP on the dock in conjunction with the DP port on the laptop. However this proved to be the only way here to connect two digital screens to the Folio 9470m and we didn't experience any side-effects of this.

To me it looks like the Folie 9470m seems to be broken in regards to hardware design/wiring or perhaps it's a software VBIOS issue. Actually I see that there is a BIOS update on HP web pages claiming an update but I cannot install it as my own one is managed by the company and the BIOS is locked.

So it's for sure not about the dock or anything wrong with the dock as it works perfectly with EliteBook 850 G1.

HP Recommended

It works until you have to reboot and then both monitors arent recognized... and then you need to undock and redock for it to detect them.

HP Recommended

I know it defeats the purpose of a dock but I am able to use 2 display port monitors as well as a 3rd VGA monitor by just plugging one of the displayports directly in to the right side of the 9470m. 

High hopes that there could be a fix from HP on this but it looks like it may be 9470m hardware...

HP Recommended

I had a similar situation when setting up an HP 840 Elitebook.  I could not set up the laptop with a docking station and 2 displayport monitors.  I would mirror the displays and would not recognize the second monitor.  But If I undock, and start the laptop, then re-dock, it will recognize all the monitors.

HP Recommended
We have a customer advisory
We have a customer advisory on this issue.
http://h41302.www4.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=emr_na-c03905486

I work for HP.
If you find my solution helpful, please click the Thumbs Up!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I wanted to follow up with this to see if any solution has been found. It seems absolutely unnacceptable that a docking station that has 2 DP included with it can not use them at the same time. What was the point of including 2 then?

HP Recommended

This certainly depends on the model. Looks like the HP Folio 9470m we got here in the office can't work with two display ports simultanously on the docking station which seems to be hardware misdesign or perhaps combination of hardware/firmware misconception.

I have tried to dock a HP EliteBook 850 G1 (which is much cheaper by the way) and here 2x DP in extended mode works flawlessly on the same docking station.

As reported by Glow here the HP EliteBookd 840 (G1 I guess) seems to work partially as well.

As far as I know the Folio 9470m model is older than both HP 840 G1 and 850 G1 models and perhaps that flaw got resolved in newer models. Unfortunately it's not clear to me whether HP could solve this issue by BIOS/EFI/Firmware upgrade on the Folio or not. In any case they are unlilkely to work on it. So you need to get rid of your Folio and/or dock and go for something else.

HP Recommended

We bought one year ago about 100x HP Elitebook 840 G1 and 80 Ultraslim docking stations and some EliteDisplay E231 (so all HP brand).

We are facing the same issues and this is very annoying. At the beginning we didn't discover this as most had only 1 external screen, then now we have more and more requets then more and more problems 😞

Technically it "should" work as we are able to display correctly at startup, but has soon the computer enter into screensaver the config is lost..

It has been 1 year runing with these kind of problems, even after several firmwares/drivers updates, (BIOS 1.30A, dock 2.24) latest drivers of December and it is still not working as expected...  Not sure to continue with HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.