Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8710p

After years of service my 8710p desired memory upgrade.

After installing 4GB of RAM BIOS notebook booted up with BIOS password.

Removing battery dont fix issue.

Any idea?

model:  HP Compaq 8710p

[personal information removed]

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @NRGXTC

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

This is very old model (10+ years old). It should be considered a business class devices and most business class notebooks *nowadays* have better stronger security. Therefore, removing the battery won't help. Password cannot be removed here in the forum - you will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

However, I am not familiar with this old model. Can you tell me what exactly you see on the screen when asked for a password ?

Can you try to enter some random password wrong 3 times ? After entering it, confirm each time by pressing [ENTER]. It will say the password is wrong. If you enter wrong password 3 times, does it produce a code , like halt code ? If yes, please post it back here.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Yap this is old computer, but it is single task computer which needed more memory with new revision of software.

I need to eneter BIOS to set it up.

Can you tell me contact of HP Business Support?

After entering every password  from similar problem every time result is as on photoIMG_20180426_232615.jpg

HP Recommended

It looks like it doesn't produce a halt code (expected on a business computer) but wasn't sure about your old model.

HP Business support:

in the USA, toll free > 1-(800)-334-5144

Other countries >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Since the model is old and if they decide to provide the service, note that they may require to charge you. Not sure... talk to the support team.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

You misunderstood me. Computer boot up normally but I can't enter BIOS. Removing battery don't reset BIOS.

How to reset bios?

THX

HP Recommended

@NRGXTCwrote:

You misunderstood me. Computer boot up normally but I can't enter BIOS. Removing battery don't reset BIOS.

How to reset bios?

THX

Hi @NRGXTC

It seems I understood you well. You are writing about BIOS password several times and even this is your topic title here in the forum. If you have a BIOS password and you are unable to login to BIOS, you need to reach to HP as suggested above. BIOS passwords for your model cannot be removed here in the forum.

If you can enter BIOS successfully and it no longer needs a password, just enter BIOS (F10) and there you will see an option to reset the settings of BIOS to default ones (load default settings).

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem as @NRGXTC I have updated the memory of my Compaq 8710p and now it asks for a "Setup password" when I try to enter the BIOS. Did you get a solution to the problem?

Thank you very much!

Joan

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.