Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc000ur

Hello. I have W7T04EA 15-bc000ur (shipped with FreeDos), I downloaded BIOS update file sp76810.exe, ran it on another PC with Windows, it created USB flash drive with label HP_TOOSL and "Hewlett-Packard" directory and shown a note that I should insert it into the laptop and boot.

I inserted it into laptop, boot, but nothing happened. I tried press Esc and choose system recovery but nothing happened too. What I do wrong?

p.s.

note that I already installed linux, so I have factory partitions removed from primary drive.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Take the usb flash drive and plug it into an available usb port.

Press the power button and immediately tap the F10 key to access the BIOS.

In the BIOS select the system configuration tab and then select boot options.  

Select the USB flashdrive as the first boot item.

Press F10 to save and exit.

The notebook should boot to the usb flashdrive if the creation process for making it was successful. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I had the flashdrive bood enabled, it's first in list in both uefi and legacy mode, and I previously installed linux using flash drive.

It does not help.

Seems flash drive installation is broken somehow. I tried re-create it on windows machine - same result.

HP Recommended

Is there a particular reason you are trying to update the BIOS?

If everything works without issue, you are better off leavng it alone.

After all, you don't ,as far as I know have a UEFI environment in Linux as you would in Windows.

Without the presence of the evnvironment, updating the BIOS goes back to being a risk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Because there is new BIOS update with new CPU microcode, with new fixes related to security and CPU performance under high load. I disagree that I should wait to see how exactly old buggy BIOS could fail in my case.

And I run linux in UEFI mode.

HP Recommended

OK.

Continue the fight then.

I don't think you quite understand what I meant by the UEFI environment. HP created a special environment for  their Windows notebooks . For those that  are 2012 model year nd newer that makes updating and even rolling back to a previous BIOS pretty straightforward.  I didn't mean just GPT volume and UEFI partitions. 😉 

You could do it the easy way and install Windows, update the BIthen Windows and then uninstall Windows and reinstall your favorite flavor of Linux. 

HP Recommended

Yes, I just meat I boot in UEFI mode ( I checked like this http://askubuntu.com/questions/162564/how-can-i-tell-if-my-system-was-booted-as-efi-uefi-or-bios ) , and I am not sure what is HP UEFI for windows.

Yes, removing linux and installing windows (from flashdrive, lol, yes, there is no CDROM), would work. But I hope to find something easier, because reinstalling linux and all software I need will take lot of time.

Very strange, I checked several times. I take flash drive (tried two different), format it to fat32 (tried also fat16), run HP update utility on windows machine, it creates flash drive. This drive filesystem indeed marked as bootable. There ar HP files on it. But laptop tells drive not bootable (if I select boot from it directly from F9 menu), I tried different boot orders (swap USB FDD and USB CDROM) etc.

HP Recommended

I finally flashed it.

I ran Windows 8 live version from USB drive, without installing it to HDD/SSD and without destroying what I have on HDD/SSD.

I used this article http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124 ,
used http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/ and 32GB flash (need at least 16GB on flash drive, but 16GB drives often are 14Gb or 15Gb only).

Used official Windows image from Microsoft website ( Mine is Russian version  - Win8.1_Russian_x64.iso - md5sum 299f81b902583c7845ecb0100fdfcdee ), I did not need
activation/registration key.

During windows run (it setups itself on flash drive, not on HDD/SSD), I run into this trouble http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/61328-63-widows-setup-configure-windows-computer-hardware
Workaround:

1) on the first error hit SHIFT F10
2) run c:\windows\system32\oobe\Msoobe
3) continue
4) when error window back - reboot and continue booting from this usb drive

I also had to use another flash drive to get HP firmware .exe into Windows sesstion, cause nothing worked in win8 live (no WiFi driver, and my HDD/SSD are in non-windows format/filesystem)
And I successfully flashed to F.09

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.