Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sphinx update applied and after about 40 hours shutdown it is at...drumroll...100% :OpenSmile:

I have the i7, 8gig, 256ssd from best buy.  13-w013dx.

All diagnostics ran and passed.  So far so good.

Hey HP, we're trying to help you out here. Drink the water you stupid horse!

HP Recommended

I'm also at 100% after 23 hrs. That's the best I've experienced with my spectre so far...If it's still at 100% after 48 hrs, I'll feel a lot better

HP Recommended

I have applied the Sphinx update and experienced improved battery capacity readings after shutdown periods.  They typically are the same as the last capacity reading before shutdown.

After the first shutdown period turn on and run the laptop (13-w0x3-dx) for five minutes.  I would expect a 1-2% drop based on a conservative 8 hour capacity ...  I've been experiencing a quick 4-6% drop from only web browsing which repeats itself during the first few minutes after any 12-24 hour shutdown period.    The net result, at least for me, is the useful capacity drops off if there are many hours of shut-down between charge cycles.     

Are others finding a 1-2% or more capacity drop after the first five minutes after a 12 hour shutdown?

HP Recommended

@lynx3333 wrote:

I'm also at 100% after 23 hrs. That's the best I've experienced with my spectre so far...If it's still at 100% after 48 hrs, I'll feel a lot better

Unfortunately, after 49 hrs, it was at 92%. That is a lot less than 100%. I'm disappointed. I did nothing except turn it on to check the battery level and shut it down again

HP Recommended

After having my Spectre returned from HP for service, I checked my battery drain after a day or two & noticed no drain during shutdown, which was, of course, way better than before. However, after charging to 100%, I left it for 5 days shutdown and found a 15% drain afterward. All I went through with HP did improve the issue but apparently it didn't fix it.

I'm on Chat now with HP about this. I'll post what happens next. 

I planned to use my new Spectre to replace my desktop by using a Thunderbolt 3 dock to run everything. I'm going to hold off on that until I see what will transpire with this battery drain issue. As to that, I don't know what the techs did at the HP service center to improve the problem. I don't know if they applied the Spinx fix or not. I'm tempted to try that but I'll wait to see what HP comes up with at the end of this Chat session.

HP Recommended

Looks like they're going to escalate this to their engineering team, but I'm still on chat at the moment. I'll comment further in a bit.

HP Recommended

Well, done with Chat. Gave them system info they needed and is being escalated to their Engineering Team, whatever that means. They will contact me by phone or email, not sure when. I'll report more after they contact me.

To avoid confusion, my Kabby Lake i7 Spectre is a superb machine in every way that's important to me. Having USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 is a dream come true, but, I'm just not ready to accept my Spectre's battery losing charge after shutdown for a while - it won't get better with time. If I start using my Spectre in a more direct manner with my work, buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock and all that, I don't want to have battery issues that grow worse with time. 

So, I'll report back after I hear from the HP Engineering Team so you all will know where the whole process may go for you too if you pursue things. Tally HO!

HP Recommended
Keep us updated for sure. I asked about this issue on best buy as well so more consumers are aware and maybe hp will take a more proactive approach.
HP Recommended

So I checked my spectre again after another 24 hrs. It's now at 91%. Very strange. 100% -> 92% ->91% after each ~24 hrs.  Each time, I powered it on just long enough to check the battery level and then powered it off again. USB charging is disabled. The only other thing it's doing is Windows Hello when I power it on. I hope that isn't using 8% figuring out that it's me.

HP Recommended

You guys weren't kidding.

I just tested a new Spectre x360 13t (Kaby Lake) - it was fully shut down, with only a USB-C dual DisplayPort cable plugged in (which shouldn't affect anything), and just now, 19 hours later, I checked - 79%. So a 21% drop in less than a day. Wow.

I've reported this to my contact at HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.