Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes, but I used a thin piece of hard plastic.

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh wrote:

Hi @pqkiller666,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the laptops battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern,

I have a few suggestions for you,

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery: HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7) - Click here

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎 - Click here

Re-install the battery drivers: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here.

Or using this link to know about Purchasing a Replacement Battery

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.

Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

HP Recommended

There does not appear to be much difference betwene supposedly repaired laptops and those which are not repaired except the manner in which the OS and BIOS reports the percentages.

I turned my computer on after 13 hours when it had been at 100% before turning it off.

The battery report shows that the computer was at 100% when I turned it on or 58,766 mWh, the same as it was when I switched it off the afternoon prior.

Within ten minutes, which is when I generated the battery report, the capacity showed at 93% or 54,701 mWh.

A 7% drop in ten minutes...

Then, 3 hours later and after usage of the computer, exceeding the usage of the first ten minutes, the battery report showed 74% or 43,613 mWh.

A 19% drop in 3 hours.

So, for each of those hours, the usage discharge was less than the first 10 minutes of use...

Does that seem plausible to anyone???

Or, would it seem more plausible that the 7% drop is actually occurring while the laptop is OFF, but the firmware and OS are displaying the percentage at 100% because it was 100% when the laptop was switched OFF, and people are complaining about this...

The fix is a firmware LIE and the battery is behaving at or around the specified normal discharge for a Li-Ion battery and I would imagine all other brands of laptop have a similar underhanded method of displaying this.

So, all our complaints have done is cause HP to review their originally very accurate battery measure and exchange it for software which does what every other brand of laptop has been doing for years and showing a false battery percentage on startup for the sake of placating people who cannot accept that battery technology is far from perfect.

HP Recommended
^NO!

The battery drain when off is improved regardless. See my previous posts about my experiences measuring battery drop below 90%.

Yes the indicator lies from 100 to 94, but after than it is still improved.
HP Recommended

EMM_EL...

I have read your posts... you report drops in battery that are significanlty less than the original state of these machines before any fixes yes...

But... and this is the point everyone seems to be missing...

I am saying after the fix, the continued drain users are seeing is DUE TO NORMAL BATTERY OPERATION AND SELF DISCHARGE.

Your posts describe a 2% drop in battery over 13 hours when shut down...

I am saying THIS IS NORMAL, in accordance with the discharge percentage shown on the battery university.com's webpage.

The 100% to 94% thing is the initial discharge over the first 24 hours when the discharge rate is higher.

So, there is no point for anyone who has had their laptop repaired of Sphinx fixed to further seek reparation of the problem because there is nothing to repair.

So... to recap...

There are TWO things occuring here.

One is over drain of the battery with the old firmware, beyond the normal discharge rates of an Li-Ion battery..

The second is that the fix fixes this but the ongoing battery drain thereafter is normal, and part of the fix is to lie about the 100% when the computer is shut down at 100% which is the argument some people are relying on to discount the idea that normal battery drain could have anything to do with the matter in its entirety.

So not "NO", not even slightly.

Pay attention.

HP Recommended
^ Agreed that there is a case that further repair from Sphinx is not necesaary.

I don't have enough real examples from different Win 10 laptops to compare but anecdotally I feel 2% per day is "within acceptable expectations".

HP needs to make a statement.
HP Recommended

Alert!  For everyone who has been waiting patiently,  HP just released 10 updates in my case.  These included a BIOS update and numerous driver updates.  Importantly an Intel thunderbold controller driver and a new video driver. Hopefully these drivers and BIOS upates will resolve our issues.  

HP Recommended

I can only see the BIOS F.20A and a new Intel Serial IO Driver (thunderbolt??)...

It's possible I have alrady installed the other updates you are seeing..

BIOS is flashed and awaiting the serial IO update now... will be interesting to see if this actually does anything or not.

HP Recommended
It doesn't look like anything new in terms of updates other than the ones discussed already. No new firmware.
HP Recommended

@jee82 wrote:

@RadicalDad What was the HP fix? New battery or the firmware update?

I didn't see any evidence of a firmware update.  The repair ticket returned with the computer says:

Defective Commodity, Fail Reason(s), Repair Action(s):

BATTERY: Battery - battery lif is too short; Reinstall Battery

Still wondering if anyone is seeing a marked difference in battery usage between shutdown and hibernation states after repair.  My post-repair machine is showing a 12% drain in 24 hours when in hibernation (the same as pre-repair drain in shutdown), but now shutdown is showing no drain at all after 24 hours.

Does anyone have hibernation set up from the start menu who could check on this with an overnight test (8 hours should be plenty)?

(BTW pqkiller666, how does this result square with your normal self-discharge theory?)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.