Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I reccently bought a brand new HP Spectre x360 from best buy and have had it for anout 3 days.  When I was there they told me that the batterly life would give me somewhere between 8-9 hours on a full charge.  Opening night I turned on the computer and left it for the 50% battery that was already in the laptop to drain out.  I let it fallt o 3% and then proceeded to charge it to 100%.  However, the battery continues to die at a astonishing rate from mere web browsing.  In addition the laptop seems to get fairly hot in the top left corner pretty quickly.  Should i try letting the battery die out completely, or does this seem like a faulty battery issue?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Preston_Wu1114,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having battery issues on your new HP Spectre notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model number of the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the battery drivers?

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

In the meantime, let's tr these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Below I've listed a series of steps that should help your cause: 

• Video about improving your notebook battery performance 

• How long does a notebook battery last? 

• Adjusting notebook battery power plans 

• Factors that contribute to loss of notebook battery capacity 

• Recommended notebook battery care practices 

• Original battery charges slowly, replacement battery charges normally 

• Special recommendations for embedded (not customer replaceable) notebook batteries 

• Tips for conserving notebook battery power 

For more details, Click here​​​​​​ 

For more assistance on reducing the heat inside the computer, please go through the steps suggested in the support document - HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I purchased an HP Spectre x360 laptop and have had it for 1.5 wks approximately. All went well until yesterday when battery power dropped down tp 10% and would not recharge with recharging cord. Would  hook up again to electric outlet and when removed even after 4 hrs "charging"   computer would not turn on. This occurred over and over again.

Spoke with HP support and computer to be sent back for gratis replacement of Lithium battery.  Have owned various laptops in past: Toshiba, Dell, MAC and Samsung and never experienced problem with Lithium battery even after 5 yrs use.

There are other comments online about other HP laptop styles with battery problems; isn't it about time that HP got this right? Paid  $1760.00  for this top-rated laptop per various Tech reviews and this is the outcome. Quite suprising; other than battery defect... the laptop is wonderful.

HP Recommended

I bought one last year as soon as it was launched in US. I had it shipped it to SG. Even paid extra taxes as I liked this laptop a lot (saw the ads and CIE reviews).

In the beginning, all was superb and the battery very long lasting. But recently, just some days just after the warranty period expired, the battery started acting weird. It suddenly stopped charging to full capacity. At first 92%, then 91%, then 85%, 81% and now, it does not go beyond 2%. I tried all the battery reset tips. They did not work. Even opened the laptop to do the without battery reset. That did not work too. Exactly one month after the warranty, it was practically dead.

The most surprising thing is that I have not used this laptop as much as any of my previous laptops. I have an HP Elitebook G820 at work which is my workhorse as it is more portable and a Mac at home. This G820 works almost all weekdays and then some more on weekends along with our Mac. This one was more of a prized possession to show off as it is supposed to be premium product. Well it does look great. Stylish, it is. But right now it is an expensive dud sitting on my desk tied to its charger.

At first, HP said since the warranty was over I have to buy the spare parts. When I asked them how can the battery die so fast after such limited use (not more than 50 odd days and that too for a few hours max eac time) and that I was loyal customer disappointed by the quality of this ‘premium product, they said they’d get back to me soon and see how they could help.

Well today they called me and said in SG, they don’t sell this model so there isn’t a replacement battery available. I’d have to get it myself from US.

Now I have owned at least four or five HP laptops (last two were 15” Envys touch and non-touch one’s) and used about 7 of them in the past decade plus. Of course, I have used many other laptop. This is the first time it has happened to me.

Long story short, the battery of this model definitely has problems!

Now I am resigned to buying a spare battery from China.
HP Recommended

Exactly the same happened to me. It feels like it was doomed to fail after the warranty expires. 

Where you able to get a replacement battery in SG?

I live in Chile so it's kind of complicated to get one here as well.

Could you share how you did on looking for the replacement battery?

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I bought mine from AliExpress. Link shared below. Paid around $84 Singapore Dollars including shipping to Singapore. So far so good. Have been using it for a couple of months. Lasts about 5 hours plus.

This will be my last HP laptop. Quality has gone downhill.
[edit}

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.