Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 1 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Battery plugged in, not charging

This just happened the other night. The battery is plugged in, but not charging. I did the whole disconnect AC, shut down, take battery out, etc went to device manager, the whole 9 yards. When I do an HP battery test the battery comes out as good. I don't know what is wrong and why it's not working. I've had it for less than 2 months (HP Pavilion dm1-4142nr).

Tags (1)
114 REPLIES
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
517 21 75
Message 2 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

what is the charge level of the battery? If it is close to 100%, this is normal so the battery doesn't become "overcharged"

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 3 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Last night and this morning it was at 22%, then because I kept messing around with it so much and tried to leave it unplugged it's at 19% right now.

I am currently deployed overseas so the power converters and what not are different, but I've always plugged it into a little surger protector directly into the wall and it was fine. I also have a convert I plug into the surge protector and it's been fine. This just happened out of the blue.

Not sure what else I can do, I'm going to try to find someone who has the same type charger as me and hopefully use theirs to see if it's just the charger.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
517 21 75
Message 4 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Try updating your BIOS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-103917-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

There was an update in April.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
0 Kudos
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 5 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I updated it, but it did not work!

0 Kudos
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 6 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I also tried using a different charge and that didn't work. It seems to just stay on at 19%.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
517 21 75
Message 7 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Did you run the battery test through HP Support Assistant?  Some units have a built-in battery test that can be accessed by pressing F2 during startup (when the HP logo comes up).

0 Kudos
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 8 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yeah I did. Mine is F1 to do pull up the HP Support Assistant. It says status OK. Current state: UNKNOWN.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
517 21 75
Message 9 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Try this,
Start the battery test, but as soon as the test begins, unplug the a/c adapter. When you get the error message that the computer needs to be plugged in to perform the test, plug it back in and wait a few seconds and the test will resume.

Hopefully theres still enough battery power left to keep the computer powered on for the few seconds without the a/c

0 Kudos
sbs1025 Tutor
Tutor
20 0 1
Message 10 of 115
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried and it was taking quite awhile, but it never came up as failed it just kept testing

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation