Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Since the Thunderbolt 3 hub is not available yet, what would be the best way for me to run dual monitors on my Zbook Studio G3?  It has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and one HDMI port and dedicated Quadro graphics card.  The monitors only have HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports.  I was hoping there would be a single cable solution for this, Im sure I could just use an HDMI for one and TB3>HDMI for the other.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

you are correct about the Studio and external displays. In order to make it Ultrabook(TM) thin, the tradeoff was the inability to add many connectors for additional video (and other) ports. The Thunderbolt dock should be available later this month as final firmware issues are worked out. HP did not want to release the dock knowing there were some problems, so delays became inevitable. The TB dock will support up to 2 4k monitors, if you can wait

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I am about to try the "Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) to HDMI Adapter" for my Display Port monitor (google it), which is advertised to work for Windows. HP should really point to a solution until the docking station is available -- not to mention those who may never order it -- otherwise the nice graphics are virtually unusable. Grr.

HP Recommended

The HP USB-C dock should work with the Studio and it supports dual-monitors (1 dp and 1 hdmi) up to 2k resolutions. the only gotcha is that unlike the TB dock, it will not charge the Studio at the same time. The Thunderbolt dock is shipping now and it will support 3 video displays (2 dp ports at to 4k) and charge the laptop at the same time

HP Recommended

I purchased an inexpensive usb-C to single DP adapter. The usb-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports are supposed to be able to drive 2 DP or HDMI monitors at 4K resolution each. I have confirmed that my loaner Zbook 15 G3 with the Intel HD530 graphics can drive one 4K monitor either from the HDMI 1.4 port or from a usb-C to DP adapter. 

This is a dual DP:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-TB32DP2-Thunderbolt-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B01ANR4CYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

Dual HDMI:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-TB32HD2-Thunderbolt-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01ANR5AJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie...

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this CableMatters adapter, and an identical one from Bytecc, both fail -- they are recognized as USB devices, but at the very end of the install a Windows driver for device "PTN5002" cannot be found.  I have not turned anything up on web searches for this.  That means still no use of the Quadro graphics in my ZBook Studio :-(.

I will try to order the HP docking station now, but the web site still only shows "notify me" for when it becomes available, which I signed up for weeks ago, but I have not received any notification.

HP Recommended

these are the thunderbolt dock's part number

P5Q58AA    HP Zbook 150W Thunderbolt 3 Dock

P5Q58UTX   HP Zbook 150W Thunderbolt 3 Dock - (Promo)

They started shipping on 3/31

also, make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers as there were updates to firm up fixes and changes required to properly support the new thunderbolt technology from Intel

HP Recommended

I just received this today: P5Q58AA    HP Zbook 150W Thunderbolt 3 Dock

After updating the BIOS and every possible relevant update available under downloadable drivers, my Studio fails to recognize the dock.  Power is passed through from the dock to the laptop, but no devices plugged into the dock are seen. If I run the Thunderbolt Software app it doesn't see anything. 

Is there some bit of magic I may have missed?

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon, I guess.  Despite multiple restarts after all the installs I still didn't see the dock, but I did one more complete shutdown, rather than restart -- this time on bootup it *did* recognize the dock.  Prompted me to connect the device chain, etc.

HP Recommended

I also received my Zbook dock for use with the Zbook 15 MWS G3 HP lonas me for my work here and had the same experience. It took 3 or 4 reboots for everything to work. It started working right after I set the Thunderbolt 3 security settings in the BIOS to the lowest security level. The dock was recognized on the next boot. Not sure that did it or if it just takes a couple boots to get it recognized. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.