Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey guys, I seem to be having trouble, and I'm not terribly inclined with laptops and computers, mine is an HP G62 laptop, and that's about as far as I know about it. The other day I went to use it, opened it up, I had 3 tabs open (google chrome), and I tried to open a new tab. All new tabs were freezing, and my itunes had frozen as well. I tried closing the laptop, hoping it would go into sleep mode, but it didn't, it stayed running. I reopened it and the screen stayed off, so I did a hard reset (holding the power button to turn it off) and started it back up. I started it in normal mode, and logged on, but after loading from the log on screen, it went to a black screen with just the cursor, and stayed there. I did another hard reset, and started it in safe mode, and now this is how I'm currently running. I've tried disabling the display drivers and restarting, that worked momentarily, but froze shortly after. Next, I tried a system restore, which did absolutely nothing, and then I ran chkdsk and, again, nothing. After all this, I decided to try uninstalling the display drivers, which, once again, did nothing.

This seems to be all the info I have gathered from online, and through friends' help, there seems to be nothing left to do that may fix this problem. Anyone have any idea on where to go from here?

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Hello ericberard,

You’re having a problem with the computer going to a black screen.

First test the hardware.

• Turn off the computer
  • As you power it back on, tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
  • Once the screen loads run the startup test.

If this is windows 7 and the startup test pass.

• Power back off the computer.
  • As you power it back on, tap the F8 key. This will load Advanced Boot Options.
  • Select Last Known Good Configuration.

This will take the system back to when everything was working correctly.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
Hahaha, well, it almost worked, the first option seemed to do something, I was able to log in properly to normal mode, but then after trying to open the internet, it got stuck loading and went to black screen again, and is back to how it was before now
HP Recommended

ericberard,

Turn back off the computer and start in safe mode with command prompt.

As you power on the computer tap F8. Once advanced boot options loads, there should be an option for safe mode with command prompt.

Once command prompt opens run the following command  SFC /scannow.

This will scan the system files and correct what it can.

Last resort you might try to run a System Recovery.

This will take the system back to original factory settings. So it will remove all files on your computer, but it will give you the option to back up everything.

Here is a link on how to perform a recovery.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Well, the first part didn't work, and I'm waiting to try the secnod part, I'm gonna have a friend look at it and make sure neither my video nor my graphics card are fried, which could very likely be the case. I leave this thing on for very large periods of time, I abuse it, hahaha, I think now is the time to start thinking otherwise, to save this from happening again.

HP Recommended

ericberard,

Thanks for keeping us informed, let us know your results. I hope that there is nothing that needs replacing.

Have a good day

HP Recommended

Hello,
It might also be something wrong with the display drivers. Go into safe mode and try uninstalling display drivers. Before doing that,go to device manager and find out what video card you have installed in case you would have to reinstall them. Uninstall your display drivers and reboot your machine. Hopefully this will help. Sometimes windows automatic updates install an update for your video card and next time you reboot your system, you get a black screen. Let's give it a try and see if this helps.

Ed [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Yeah, I gave that a try, I tried disabling them first, and then it worked for a moment, but went back to black screen. I then uninstalled them, and it did the same thing, worked for a moment, froze and went to black screen, any recommended sites  I can use to try re-installing those drivers?

HP Recommended
@anthony82
So I had the same problem with my hp g62 but now Internet doesn't work what can I do?
HP Recommended

Hello Treto1120,

I understand that your internet is not working,

What changed when the internet stopped working?

Do you get any kind of error when you try to get online?

Go to device manager and uninstall the wireless under network adapter.

Restart the computer

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the wireless card.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.