Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had just bought my dv6-6124TX together with HP USB Media Docking Station last June 2011. I always experience a Blue Screen or frequent Crushes or lockups. Also, I can not used my external monitor attached to the docking station when watching videos because of glitches and unstable resolution.

So I frequently unstall and install the Displaylink driver hoping that it would fix the porblem.

Curiously, I have visited the Displaylink Website to check on latest driver and I try to install it. Unfortunately, I also experienced the same problems. But to my surprised, what I had read from the user manual of Displaylink says:

The following GPU configurations may exhibit compatibility issues on Windows 7 and Vista in certain circumstances:

Switchable Graphics (ATI/Intel)

Switchable Graphics (ATI/ATI)

Switchable Graphics (NVIDIA/Intel)

NVIDIA SLI in SLI mode

So, is this the reason I am experiencing the aforementioned problems because my notebook is using Switchable Garphics (ATI/Intel).

And also the HP USB Media Docking Station sound had stop working, I try to install the driver but it says already installed!

Hoping to received the resolution to this problems I am experiencing.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

I am experienceing the same problem. Not only that, but my Laptops (15) freeze. I am using them in a business environment because the horesepower was not available at the time I made my purchase. Is there any fix HP?

HP Recommended

@myamamoto,

Please provide us the complete model of your system along with the operating system,

How to locate model number:

Notebook:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards,

=======================

I am an HP employee.

If my suggestion was helpful, you can thank me by clicking on the "Kudos" button!
If my answer solved your problem, please feel free let the community know by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button!!

HP Recommended

I have a mix of DV6TSE and DV6T's on Windows 7 Pro, 8gb RAM, Intel Processor i7 840. I have read other forums and from what I gather, DisplayLink and ATI fight to be the dominant video "provider" between the two. I hope there is a fix. The product # is VX067AV. That product # is for the DV6TSE's.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the lockup issue, but no the blue screen.

On August 4th I received my new HP Pavilion g6t-1b00 CTO Notebook PC, along with an HP USB Media Docking Station (RMN: HSTNN-Q05X;  S/N: CNF120X0MJ;  P/N: VY843AA#ABA).

The following devices were connected to the docking station - USB devices (Laptop, adapter for a wireless keyboard & mouse, external hard drive and a cooling fan that the laptop sits on); Speakers; External monitor.

Within a week, the laptop would lockup and the only option I had was to power off the laptop by holding down the power button.  This has happened at least 4 times.  I suspect the docking station.

On one occasion of the laptop locking, the extended image frozen on the external monitor was different from what was showing the laptop’s display.  I powered off the laptop, but the image on the external display remained.  I powered off/on the external monitor and the frozen image remained.   I then had to power off the docking station to eliminate the image on the external monitor.

The docking station gets extremely hot when operating.  Don’t know if this is normal or could be contributing to the problem.  Have others who use this docking station experience the same heating problem?

As part of isolating the cause of the lockup, I disconnected the docking station and started using the laptop by itself (keypad & pointing device on the laptop; using the laptop’s wireless adapter to access the Internet and a wireless printer.  I did this for about 3 days without incident.  I then connected a USB keyboard, USB mouse and external monitor to the laptop.  I plan to operate in this mode for the next 3 – 4 days. 

If no problem surface, then I plan to replace the USB Keyboard and mouse with the wireless keyboard and mouse and operate for another week.

If no issues, then the last step will be to reconnect everything to the docking station to see if the problem surfaces again.

Is HP aware of a problem with these docking station?

HP Recommended

HP has finally admitted that there is a problem and they are working feverishly in silence behind the scenes to do damage control. The problem is the Your Video Card Driver vs the Display Link Driver are having a conflict of whos going to be boss. With that, they said that did not anticipate a problem because, as when we first bought our equipment, it worked well right out of the box. It's over time that an update hardcodes the hardware and leaves an everlasting problem. I went back to a factory default on my laptops and tried every update config I could for a months time updating a little at a time, trying the original BIOS and Windows updates. What I found was: No matter the combo of installs and updates, if I just put it back to factory default, within hours it would freeze up. Same thing if I added Display Link or ATI updates. It's broken in the firmware or it is a multi-programmed IRQ that is causing the problem. I'll let HP and my warranty sort it out.

HP Recommended

I wish HP would tell us what is happening.  I am on my second set of docking stations and when I call tech support they still want to restore the laptops rather then fix the problem.  Now I have three docking stations that are nothing more then expensive stands.

Three DV7 laptops running windows 7 64 bit.  All drivers are properly downloaded and installed.  The only upgrade is to MS Office 2010.  I see no error dmps.  The laptops freeze and require a hard reset numerous times during the day. With the USB cables disconnected they work fine.

I have installed the Display Link.  Still fails.

R

Rick

My first computer was a F-14 weapons system
HP Recommended

In the latter part of August, my neighbor received their 2nd Docking Station from HP.  Within 1 of of getting that new Docking Station, their laptop froze up.  Since I was going to be away for 6 weeks, I had my neighbor remove the Docking Station and simply use the laptop.  It's been 7 weeks and the laptop never froze up, so clearly the Docking Station has something to do with the problem.

I was planning to contact HP Support today to see if there was any news regarding this problem.  I was disturbing to hear that you are on your 3rd docking station.  Based on my situationh it is my belief the problem is with how the Docking Station communicates with the laptop and I'm not about to restore this system after everything that I have installed/configured on this laptop.  HP needs to figure out the problem.  When this problem has arisen, there has been problems with the external monitor, so I suspect the problem has something to do with video through the docking station.

HP Recommended

I have four laptops with the problem.

The port replicators are VY847AA#ABA.  All four the same. 

The laptops are all Product Number QB648AV.  Known as a dv7. 

The drivers are sp46708  NIC

Sp52656  Audio

Sp52243  Video

Configurations at this time:

1.  Not docked.  Works fine.  All drivers installed
  2. Docked.  Using NIC and Audio.  Video driver uninstalled
  3. Docked.  NIC and Video driver installed.  Dual monitor
  4. Docked.  NIC only.  No other drivers

None of the laptops appear to be having issues with only the NC installed. 

Any laptop with the video driver for the Display link locks up randomly during the day.   This forces a hard shutdown of the system and our executives are losing work product.  No a good thing. 

If any laptop locks up and is removed from the port replicator the laptop will work fine for days off the dock. 

I have installed all the drivers on my HP Elite 8000 desktop and ran everything through the port replicators.  No errors and no lockups.  I only see failures with the dv7. 

I did go backward on one of the laptops to a previous driver and the results were the same.  Uninstalled the old driver and all drivers are the latest on HP’s site. 

The laptop (#2)  running the audio and the NIC locked up last night.  Had to hard shutdwn and restart.  No video driver installed.  Still a

hmmmm. 

Rick

My first computer was a F-14 weapons system
HP Recommended

Rick,

My neighbor's Docking station product number is VY843AA#ABA and is using a HP Pavilion g6t-1b00 CTO Notebook PC.

HP had me install new drivers - SP52243 & SP53552, but that had no effect.  In talking to HP Technical Support yesterday, they told me their solution was to do a restore of my system.  I told them that was unacceptable.  If they can't pinpoint he problem and simply replace the code that was bad, then I am requesting a refund and will send back the 2 docking stations they sent us.  I've spent too much time installing/configuring application, somy neighbor can live without a docking station and will simply unplug the cables as he wants to travel with is laptop.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.