Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-2110ea
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I booted my laptop up today and noticed the driver didn't come on for the Bluetooth. Usually it comes on with the WiFi but it's just no where to be found.

I can't locate it in Control Panel > Network and Internet.

It's not in Device Manager at all.

I conducted a search for "Bluetooth" in the Start > search program and files. The icon shows up, but when I click on it nothing happens.

I tried Run> service.msc and Bluetooth Service and Bluetooth Support Service are both set to automatic.

I've tried running sfc /scannow in Command Prompt. It reported verification 100 complete. Windows Resource did not find any integrity violations.

I tried unistalling update KB958488 and restarting but that didn't help.

I tried running Sytem Restore to an earlier point (31st May 2016) but that was unsuccessful because of error 0x80070005.

I tried installing the lastest drivers "Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows 7
5.60.350.6 20.7 MB May 17, 2016" from  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-2100-entertainment-notebook-pc-serie...

It seemed to have installed correctly but the bluetooth driver/app still won't start.

When I went to C:\SwSetup\SP45578 > Setup it asked to "repair installation for Bluetooth Software" I clicked OK. It stated to prepare to install, but then comes back with an error message "No Bluetooth Device was detected. Please make sure that your Bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation".

I'm at a loss of what to try next. My only hope is System Restore but that won't complete successfully and there are no restore points further back. For some reason my System restore points keep being deleted, but that's another problem.

The only thing that has been updated from the last time I remember my Bluetooth working was an HP update for Quick Launch Buttons and HP Support Assistant which was on the 1st June 2016.

Please advise

Thanks in advance

L

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

A couple of suggestions...

1. Update the HP Bluetooth driver to the final version for W7...

This package contains the software required to support the HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology in supported notebook models running a supported operating system. The HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology provides wireless connectivity to other devices from the integrated module of the supported notebooks. It also provides additional Bluetooth Profiles.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47022.exe

2. Make sure the bluetooth radio was not turned off by the HP Wireless Assistant.  Below is the latest version of that software.

This package contains the HP Wireless Assistant for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The HP Wireless Assistant reports the power state and Microsoft Windows Device Manager status of integrated wireless devices, alerts the user when the status of a device changes, and enables the user to turn integrated wireless devices on and off.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49408.exe

HP Recommended

Hello there,
Thank you for reply.

I tried the Method 1 "Update the HP Bluetooth driver to the final version for W7..." but the same things happened as before.

I went to C:\SwSetup\SP47022 > Setup it asked "This setup will perform an upgrade of 'HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology'. Do you want to continue?" I clicked OK. It started to prepare to install, but then comes back with an error message "No Bluetooth Device was detected. Please make sure that your Bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation".

Method 2 did not work, I got an error message saying "This computer does not support Wireless Assistant 4".

I also tried this method I found on the Microsoft Support forum:

1. Click Start -> click All Programs -> click Accessories -> right-click Command Prompt, select Run as administrator. If you are  prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each):
3. SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
4. devmgmt.msc
5. When in Device Manager, click View then Show hidden devices

Now when I tried the above I can see:

Bluetooth Radios

> HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Technology

> Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Bluetooth Virtual Devices

> Bluetooth L2CAP Interface

But when I click on Properties of all those devices I get an error message "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

The next part of the instruction from the Microsoft support forum was:

7. Click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall.
8. If there is a Delete the driver software for this device box, check it (make sure you have internet connectivity so that you may reacquire these drivers). Read and Confirm Notification, click OK.
9. Exit Device Manager, and restart your computer.
10. You will be prompted with Found New Hardware. Select Locate and install driver software. Confirm permissions. Windows will now search for your hardware driver and reinstall it.
11. Test the device again

Now I am a little reluctant to follow Part 2 of the instructions. First because I don't know which of the Bluetooth devices I should uninstall and second I would hate to uninstall something that I later on, won't be able to reinstall.

What do you suggest?

Many Thanks

L

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Try this version of the HP wireless assistant software...I still think it is turned off somehow and needs to be turned back on using the software.  This is the older version... 3.50.10.1

This package contains the HP Wireless Assistant for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The HP Wireless Assistant is a user application that provides a way to control the enablement of individual wireless devices (such as Bluetooth, WLAN, or WWAN devices) and that shows the state of the radios for these wireless devices.

File name: sp45222.exe

HP Recommended

Hi there,
Thank you again for replying.

I tried installing the update you suggested (which installed correctly) but the problem still persists. My bluetooth is still missing. 

My bluetooth disappeared after installing some HP updates but I can't remember or find which updates they were.
I think one was for HP Quick Buttons and the other was for Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter.

What do you suggest now?

Many Thanks

L

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have no idea at this point.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for your help anyway.

Just one thing, do you think if I uninstall:

Bluetooth Radios

> HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Technology

> Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Bluetooth Virtual Devices

> Bluetooth L2CAP Interface

that may help resolve the situation or at least force my laptop to reinstall those drivers?

Many Thanks

L

HP Recommended

At this point, I don't see that you have anything to lose by giving that a try.

You know what bluetooth driver you need to reinstall.

I suggest you use the one I posted, since it was the newest one available.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.