Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to use the CTRL+HOME and CTRL+END key combinations on my HP Spectre 13-3010dx. Unforturnately, when I press the combinations, they are not taking me to the beginning/end of a document in MS Word, nor the beginning/end of an Excel spreadsheet. Instead they are moving the cursor one character to the left or one character to the right respectively. It's as if the CTRL key is being ignored.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

jsnFloida,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

You may have discovered the answer by now -- Whether the keys work is tied to your Num Lock setup.

Solution:  Disable the Num Lock key so your other keys on the Key Pad work as required

Many of our new keyboards lack the nice little light that indicates whether the Num Lock is enabled.  This is annoying to say the least.

Your Windows key is the key down near the bottom left of your keyboard -- it looks like a Window Pane.

===========================================================================

Windows key + U (Opens Ease of Access) > Make the keyboard easier to Use >

Under section Make it easier to type

Select (Check) Turn on Toggle Keys

and

Select (Check) Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for 5 seconds

Click Apply

Toggle keys setting:

A "high" tone sounds = the NUM LOCK key is disabled.

A "low" tone sounds = the NUM LOCK key is enabled.

Example:

Click the NUM LOCK key, hear the low tone, and think to yourself,

"Ah, tone down low, down page = Page Down"

When the Num Lock key is disabled, the other keys work -- like your Page Down, Cntrl-Home and Cntrl-End keys.

This also switches on the Caps key tones.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, my laptop, HP Spectre 13-3010dx does not have a Num Lock key.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

jsnflorida,

Ah, yes - just checked.

From what I can tell, having checked Google, our friend in these matters -- when a keyboard lacks a Number Pad, and assuming it has a Number Pad capability -- the Num Lock and the Number Pad setup is apparently enabled with the FN key and one of the other keys on the keyboard, usually marked in tiny blue printing - perhaps NumLck or something similar along the top row of keys.

I did look in your computer's User Guide for you; I did not see anything conclusive - the graphics are smallish and not in color. 

The solution may still be usable if your keyboard has a Num Lock equivalent.

If I find something more fully substantive (useful), I will post back.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Does anyone at HP know the answer to this?
HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue, and cant seem to find any solution online. Using quick keys like HOME, END in Microsofy office products is something I do regularly, but I just got a 13 in HP Envy 2-in-1 touchscreen, latest model - and can't seem to get these keys to work properly. I've been trying combinations but still nothing yet....

HP Recommended

I believe the answer is that you must press the 'fn' and the 'ctrl' keys together then the 'home' or 'end' keys within Word or Excel for these to work as needed. Hope that helps...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.