Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Perhaps an i5? & What is the socket#? Because I've read that i3 and i5 have the same socket. Is this true?

The lady on the phone from HP customer support said I cannot, but because of how she assisted me and answered other question I asked, it left me to assume she did not know very much about computers other than the basics which I know. I mean I know when I had a P4 desktop I was able to upgrade it to an even better P4 and make it last a bit longer. Now I'm concerned about how fast this computer CPU will be outdated, so I've got to be able to upgrade it becuase I've twice as much for this laptop than I would have for a twice as better desktop, so this has got to last.

Surely there must be something I can do to keep this in date right?

-Lm

Pavilion dv6-3225dx
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Intel i3 M 350
XY980UA#ABA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the full specification of your current processor:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43529

the socket is: BGA1288, PGA988

here is the list of processors you can upgrade to:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43483

Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Intel Core i7 Processors

Intel Core i7-840QM processor with 1.86 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-820QM processor with 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-740QM processor with 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-720QM processor with 1.6 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core 2 Duo Intel Core i5 Processors

Intel Core i5-580M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.33 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-560M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.33 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-540M processor with 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-520M processor with 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-480M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-460M processor with 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-450M processor with 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.66 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-430M processor with 2.26 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz, Dual 35 W

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

You can upgrade!! but..

i can smell that your computer is under warranty... then please forget about it, doing so will void the warranty as the processor is not a customer accesseable part..

However if your computer is under warranty... please tell me the product number (p/n) written on a white sticker at the bottom of the notebook and the current processor model.. (if possible)

||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for helping me :generic: I just really want to know for future reference when the computer is old and outdated :Crying: because these laptops cost so much.. I have got to make the most of this one! and no I'm not cheap just economica inclined, lol.

Anyways here is the p/n   XY980UA#ABA

Pavilion dv6-3225dx
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Intel i3 M 350
XY980UA#ABA
HP Recommended

Here is the full specification of your current processor:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43529

the socket is: BGA1288, PGA988

here is the list of processors you can upgrade to:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43483

Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Intel Core i7 Processors

Intel Core i7-840QM processor with 1.86 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-820QM processor with 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-740QM processor with 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core i7-720QM processor with 1.6 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz, Quad 45 W

Intel Core 2 Duo Intel Core i5 Processors

Intel Core i5-580M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.33 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-560M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.33 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-540M processor with 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-520M processor with 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-480M processor with 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-460M processor with 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-450M processor with 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.66 GHz, Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-430M processor with 2.26 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz, Dual 35 W

||

HP Recommended

Thank you very much sir, this is exactly what I needed!!!

Pavilion dv6-3225dx
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Intel i3 M 350
XY980UA#ABA
HP Recommended

I did not know notebooks could have a CPU upgrade, either with or without voiding the warranty.  Isn't the CPU soldered to the system board?  If I'm right, it would be very tricky - if possible at all - to remove & replace it.

HP Recommended

Is this true? I'm assuming if it has a socket type, its removable, unless its embedded if I'm not mistaken.

Pavilion dv6-3225dx
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Intel i3 M 350
XY980UA#ABA
HP Recommended

Not sure.  I had a Paviliion dv6235nr taken apart this week for a different reason, but I couldn't see the CPU.  It was covered up by some other stuff and I was afraid I would break something, so I didn't dissasemble things any further.

It is cheaper to build with the CPU soldered in place rather than build a socket, and it is one less failure point from the manufacturer's point of view, so I wouldn't be surprised if HP built them that way.

HP Recommended

BIOSUpdateVicti wrote:

"I did not know notebooks could have a CPU upgrade, either with or without voiding the warranty.  Isn't the CPU soldered to the system board?  If I'm right, it would be very tricky - if possible at all - to remove & replace it."

NO it is not true.... the CPU is not soldered at all it is like all other PCs... you can easilly remove and replace the CPU however it is bit difficult as you have to dissasemble every part to reach to CPU...

i'll provide you the instructional manual later.... right now i'm experiencing slow network connection.. 🙂

||

HP Recommended

What about cooling? Do better CPU's have a faster heating rate that I should be worrying about, because on a normal sunny day my computer temperatures can exceed 150* farenheit as it is... Perhaps Is it possible to upgrade my fan?

Pavilion dv6-3225dx
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Intel i3 M 350
XY980UA#ABA
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.