Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Touch Smart Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot connect to the internet the regular way ( Wire) any more.  My note book seems to have lost the NIC Eithernet Network Adapter that was already programmed in my PC. How do I restore it. It was working Great before a ThunderStorm passed through my area and lost power a couple of hours.  When Power (Electricity) was restore I could not connect to the internet by wire only by Wifi.  My Modem works great ( BOTH).  I have a spare. Thank you for your help.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try other port on your modem. Worse case the NIC port on your computer was burnt down.

I did post my experience with thunderstorm and I had to replace the motherboard of my laptop because the wired LAN port on my machine was burnt down and at that time we did not use wireless at my office. 

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I tested all ports on both modems ( including my back up Modem) all  Ports works,  Computer otherwise works great too. Looked for the NIC Eithernet Network adapter in my control panel it's no longer there. I only see the Eithernet Network Adapter for WIFI. Need to reinstall NIC Eithernet Network Adapter software to my PC so I could connect to the internet with WIRE.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Hope no damage for your machine. Now what is your HP 15 Touch Smart Notebook PC ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

i guess you tried and other PC connected to same cable and the Ethernet works (Rj45 Cat5/6+ cable,)

then you look on CP control panel and the ethernet chip driver is gone.   BINGO 1. right?  it tells you its bad.

so put it back. a good driver. (RC, right click updatee driver, oops that fails cuz...)

same as you do all drivers,  but this is chicken and egg, issues.

how to get an HP  driver,  not connected to the internet,  answer, use another PC and down load it.

HP HP 15 Touch Smart Notebook PC

does not tell me what Pc you have, it has a real product number on the bottom, use that.

see how hp gets confused, lacking a real product number.?   15 means little,...

no only this, but different models use different on board, ETHERNET chips. and must be matched to what you have.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=HP%2015%20Touch%20Smart%20Notebook%20PC&...

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

I can access internet with wifi. How do i get the the software & download it to my HP Laptop so that I can HARDWIRE connect to intertnet. I have 3 hardwire cords along with 3 Modems. Same problem when I tried all three. The problem is the  Eithernet network adapter software for hardwire connection is no longer in my PC as I said. But I can use wifi to download off the internet. Don't need another PC.

I checked my note book it's a HP 15 - d069wm touchsmart notebook, Thanks.

HP Recommended

I checked my note book it's a HP 15 - d069wm touchsmart notebook, Thanks.

HP Recommended

I checked my notebook PC box it was in.  It's a HP 15 - d069wm touchsmart notebook, Thanks.

HP Recommended

hello and good day to you.

that wire is called and ethernet cable. 

it will plug into the  router,  the router is that thing with wifi antenna's there.  they all have names,

like Netgear, D-link or others.   

the modem goest to the (cable TV side) 0r to DSL side.  (unstated by you)

and this modem feeds internet to  your router.

in almost all cases,  the many ethernet jacks on the router by default all work out of the box new. 

i bet all your router ports are all 100%; good but the PC is, infected.  (or molested)

by molested, i mean its had someone install w10 via a Microsoft, disk and not HP.,  see?

if you dont see, try to know the HP driver must be there, or the Ethernet will be dead.  and if its dead, you'd have to use wifi to get, for sure or use any other PC to fetch it.  so here it is.

if other PC's can plug in to any of those router,  jacks and work then the router side is ok.

easy no? 

your PC, HP 15-  has  enthernet jack and a chip that drives it, and software driver to match said chip.

HP 15-d069wm TouchSmart Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

this pC uses a driver called,

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver (HP uses many different chips, but this pc uses just this chip  ) see?

system software Manager Icon

8.20.815.2013 Rev. 7.3 MB Nov 22, 2013

File name:  SP64340.exe

(7.3 MB)

here are all your drivers,  if still stock PC, and still HP windows 10 running.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-d000-touchsmart-notebook-pc-series/6627588/mo...

this site im typing on, erases my photos i post, making , accurate posts near impossible

here is my DM image below, im clickng UPdate driver here,  for the RealTek CHIP (ethernet)

update.JPG

HP Recommended

there are lots of ways to skin a cat, as they say. beside the correct way above..... yah.

reload the OS from HP , using teh F11 key, and data loss.. (WITS END)

or

use WIFI now. "connected"  MUST BE !

then

1:go to, CP, control panel, Start, click CP

2: go to device manager.

3: see that ethernet chip there,  with "red, yellow, uknown , or missing"  ?   if its there and has problems

4: right click the chip, there,  and pick update driver software..... mines a Realtek too. 

this may find the driver, this is MS PnP in action here and there is never a 100% Guarntee MS actions work. here.

what does work is running the HP installer stated in my last post.  that is a perfect match.

if the PC is not virus infected, usually all these ways work

and last F11 reload.  (powerbutton on hit f11, )

network.JPG

THESE 3 FACTS IN MY LAST POST ARE REPEATED 100,000 TIMES, HERE AND ON OTHER FOURMS

LIKE WIN10 FORUMS.

for a chip to work  (networking) all 7 layers of the STACK most be correct.  and no viruses, in the mix.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.