Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Okay, so I have had an unbelievable amount of problems with my HP products over the years. For the one I'm about to describe and for may other problems I have had, I will NOT be purchasing any more HP products in the future. Customer support is absolutely terrible, and gently used products barely last a year, or fail shortly after the warranty ends. But, before I trash my current laptop, I'm going to see if anyone on these forums has any bit of information that could help. 

So I put my HP stream 11 laptop away for about a month. In that time, all it did was stay in my drawer, at room temperature. It was never exposed to anything that could have done any damage. However, I pulled it out a month later only to find that the laptop shows no life whatsoever. The caps lock light blinks twice, then goes blank. This goes on for infinity. 

I did tons of reasearch, so it is my understanding that somehow, the computer cannot establish a connection with the BIOS due to the battery draining. This is a terrible design if the computer must stay alive in order for it to maintain a connection with the BIOS. 

Some people suggested a few documents, in which I am supposed to reset the computer by removing the battery, then holding the power button down etc. But the battery on this computer is internal and cannot be removed. According to the document, if this is the case, I'm supposed to check the user manual that came with it for specific reset instructions. However, I checked the original box as well as onling only to find that a user manual does not exist for my PC, only a "Quick reference guide" 

It's all a giant loop, bringing me back to the same document that is supposed to solve everything, which it doesn't. Recently, I stumbled upon another document, telling me to do a reset using the Windows key + B key which is supposed to update the BIOS. That had no effect on the computer either. 

So I contact customer support, right? Wrong. I cannot contact anyone without putting my serial number in, which only prompts me with the option to "pay for a call." I'm certainly not going to pay for a call just to be put on hold for an infinity, just to talk to someone I can barely understand / hear. 

This is not the first product I've had a problem with either. My HP Pavilion, a beautiful computer, had the motherboard melt after just a few months. Had to pay to ship it out for repairs despite it being under warranty. I recieved to computer back just to experience another boat-load of problems. Today, it is unusable. 

I have also had a printer stop working after just a few years, and the simplest thing as my HP mouse (a mouse. Can you imagine that?) stopped working as well. I must say, all these products were never exposed to high temperatures (they were all kept at room temperature of 70 degrees F), nor were they exposed to liquids or physical abuse. For these reasons, I will not be purchasing another HP product ever again. 

But back to the topic at hand, is there any way to re-establish the BIOS connect to a laptop with an internal battery, and that is out of warranty? I really need to get this laptop up and running again so that I can work on my reports and papers, without having to type everything out on my phone. 

Thanks for reading. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you can discharge the battery completely, it will reset the BIOS, it is a known issue with the Stream laptops.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I tried letting the laptop sit again for 2-3 months without charging it, and holding the power button down for 20 seconds. Still have the same problem. 

HP Recommended

Okay, I guess the battery got discharged to the point where no lights were coming on at all?  I have a Stream 11 and the battery holds a charge for a long time if I don't use it, that is why I ask. 

I guess as a last resort, you could disassemble it to disconnect the battery connection.  The Maintenance and Service guide .pdf is available on hp.com and has instructions.  Some others here have replaced the battery in their Stream notebooks, I did not get the impression it was very difficult but I am not sure.

HP Recommended

Yes, the battery did get discharged to that point, and I already tried disassembling to remove the battery. I tried all of the resets while the battery was out, and while it was in, yet I still get the same blinking caps lock indicating it cannot reach the BIOS. 

I'd also like to say, there was nothing on this computer of importance it me. It had barely anything on it at all. Any kind of reset that would revert it back to factory settings would do fine, if that's even possible in this state. 

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.