Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv2000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Cant upgrade Windows to because of the NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M.  Microsoft tells me to go the display manufacturer for support.

I go there and they send me to HP stating:  Your product manufacturer required you to download a driver for your device from their website.

HP says it cant find it.  Please advise.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@tjlinzy

Is this the driver you tried to install???

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/87791/en-us

REO

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I found this driver update on the nvidia.com site, but it's not compatible.  I've tried to download it three times and it won't work.

I've been at this all day.  It seems that hp has to come up with a driver in order for me to get Windows 10.

I am so incredibly disappointed that HP hasn't done it.  I get a sneaky suspicion they won't because my computer is not new enough. 

I appreciate your willingness to help.  Have a great day!!!

HP Recommended

I ran into the exact same problem. I have a DV-6604NR laptop with NVidia 630M graphics. I tried downloading the driver from NVidia, with the same results. NVidia support pointed me here.

Hopefully HP will release and Windows 10 driver soon!

HP Recommended

@PeerOne wrote:

@RonFtCollins wrote:

I ran into the exact same problem. I have a DV-6604NR laptop with NVidia 630M graphics. I tried downloading the driver from NVidia, with the same results. NVidia support pointed me here.

Hopefully HP will release and Windows 10 driver soon!

I hightly doubt they will support system once they are out of production beyond what the HP driver sites listes. Just image how many old system they would have to support? Someone will have to pay for that work. There will come a time when some system can't use Windows 10 and we should come to that realization as well.

If HP have made changes to a standard offering then they should support the changes or warn buyers they have built in obsolesense.  On the listing it says it supports only Vista yet I'm running Windows 7. 

HP Recommended
Hi, it's not wishful thinking, I just missed the warning in the sales blurb that said'well have modified the graphics drivers so that the manufacturer won't support them and we will not support them for any other o/s than the one installed' That would have changed my buying decision. It certainly has for the future.
HP Recommended

I was able to find a temporary fix until they hopefully release an updated driver for windows 10.

1. I downloaded the following file from NVIDIA. Select the appropriate one for your system.

64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta.html

32bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/8971/en-us

2. Installed it and restarted Windows 10

3. Launch the device manager and extended the display adapters

4. Right clicked on the sub item and selected "update driver software"

5. Then selected "Browse my computer for driver software"

6. Tell Windows to search in the following directory which should have been created by the application that was downloaded "C:\NVIDIA". Make sure the search subdirectories check box is checked.

7. Once it finished the GeForce 7150/nForce 630M was successfully installed on Windows 10.

I was able to instal it using the 64 bit version but I assume it will work for the other version too as long as it is the correct one for your system.

HP Recommended

@msddjd wrote:

I was able to find a temporary fix until they hopefully release an updated driver for windows 10.

1. I downloaded the following file from NVIDIA. Select the appropriate one for your system.

64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta.html

32bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/8971/en-us

2. Installed it and restarted Windows 10

3. Launch the device manager and extended the display adapters

4. Right clicked on the sub item and selected "update driver software"

5. Then selected "Browse my computer for driver software"

6. Tell Windows to search in the following directory which should have been created by the application that was downloaded "C:\NVIDIA". Make sure the search subdirectories check box is checked.

7. Once it finished the GeForce 7150/nForce 630M was successfully installed on Windows 10.

I was able to instal it using the 64 bit version but I assume it will work for the other version too as long as it is the correct one for your system.

This worked like a charm on my 64-bit notebook. 

Thank you, msddjd

Not to get on too high a soapbox, but others on the forum here make the point that HP can't support their hardware forver, and I understand and agree with that.

On the other hand, the drivers are for the chipset, they don't need to make a driver for each individual PC model. And NVidia already has Windows 10 reference drivers developed that work with this chipset. I imagine there are millions of these PCs still in use. In the interest of keeping their loyal customers loyal, how hard can it be for HP to OEM package the NVidia driver? 

HP Recommended

This is working on my old DV7-1275dx with the NVIDIA GEForce 9600M GT graphics. Thanks so much for finding this!

HP Recommended

Thank you msddjd, your solution also helped me and now graphics look proper like they're supposed to. Normally running the driver in compatibility mode works just fine even going all the way back to Vista but in this case that did not work. Your solution however did. Thanks again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.