Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Wiltimz Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Caps lock blink 5 times on Compaq 615 laptop, but screen doesn't come on.

My Compaq 615 laptop screen doesn't come on, instead it blinks capslock 5 times. What shlould I do?

It has an AMD Athlon X2 processor, with Radeon 3200 graphics.

I didn't install any new software or hardware recently. All I did was work with the system at night, shut it down, and when I turned it on the following morning, the screen refused to come up, but the caps lock blinks 5 times.

3 REPLIES 3
Professor Professor
Professor
1200 1184 166 858
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that. Please refer to the Blank Screen LED Error Codes document from HP Support. It sounds like a "General system board failure." The explanation says to contact HP for assistance. The motherboard might need to be replaced, and you will probably require the assistance of a technician to fix the problem. 

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
evesdropper Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible that the video chip only needs to be reballed?

0 Kudos
evesdropper Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible that the video driver chip only needs to be re-soldered?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation