Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP X2 Detachable 10inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi,

My laptop / tablet HP pavilion x2 detachable isn't charging the battery when is on, it use the USB type C port to connect the charger but when I connect it it says the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it. When I go to device manager there is one of the USB device that is not properly installed (it has a yellow triangle) I tried to Un install it and install it back, restart the computer, update the driver, and nothing seems to work, again, that port is where I plug the charger it doesn't charge when is on but if I shut it off and let it be connected it gets some charge.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Luimy11,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having charging issues on your HP Pavilion x2 Detachable notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard Reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. 

The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the BIOS and the Chipset drivers to the latest version using the Official HP website for drivers and downloads: Click here to find it. 

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

If the test passes and yet, the issue persists: 

Within BIOS there's an option that provides energy to the Type-C USB port even when the notebook is turned off. 

Hence, I recommend you disable this feature to fix the battery drain.  

Please find the details listed below: 

• Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the start-up menu. 

• Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS. 

• Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows. 

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as Solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried everything listed above and yet my laptop give me the error im describing, i was doing some research and i found in one of the websides that HP products wont charge with chargers from other brands , is that true? and if it is how can i know the right charger model for my laptop (HP pavilion x2 detachable 10 inches)

thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Luimy11,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are using a different brand charger and you would like to know if this could be the reason behind not charging. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

You could go ahead and use a different brand charger but this has to be compatible with your HP product. However, HP recommends using HP Chargers.

I just want to check if you have run the test on the battery from F2, if so, did it come up with any error code. If so, could you provide me with the failure code for further assistance?

Next thing, I would suggest here is to check with a different compatible adapter and see if that helps.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.