Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Chrome OS

Hello, I am working on an HP Chromebook model 14-q020nr.  It gave an error, "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a reecovery USB stick or SD card.  For help visit http://www.google.com/chromeos/recovery Model FALCO C2B-E3C-L7Q"

Following those instuctions on another computer I have attempted several times to create recovery media on a bootable USB flash drive.

I am using LXLE Linux 32-bit on the second computer (A Dell Latitude D620 with Intel Core Duo).  LXLE is a respin of Lubuntu/Ubuntu.  The 32-bit version is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

The linux computer gives me no errors in regards to creating the recovery flash drive.

When I insert the flash drive into the chrome book, it restarts and goes through verifying the integrity of the recovery media.  The progress bar gets to the end then the machine says "An unexpected error has occurred. Please refer to this URL for troubleshooting tips:  https://www.google.com/chromeos/recovery"

Following the information at the above website, it says that the flash drive or SD card has problems.  I have used four different flash drives, and all of them give the same error.  The flash drives I have tried are:  SanDisk 8GB, SanDisk 16GB (This one was brand new), Wintec 8GB, no-name 2GB.  All are USB 2.0 flash drives, and I have also tried all three USB ports on the Chromebook, as well as different ports on the Dell to create the recovery media.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@OtakuN3rd ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  The only options you have here are to do the Powerwash on your Chromebook.  If that fails then you will need to contact HP phone support for repair options.

Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If that fails.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!

If I understand correctly, the Chromebook has to at least be able to boot up to a login screen to powerwash it.

This one will not boot up to a login screen.  The Chrome OS is Missing Or Corrupt error shows on the screen after a few seconds from pushing the power button.

Please advise, thank you!

HP Recommended

@OtakuN3rd ,

Thank you for posting back.  As mentioned in the last post if you can not Powerwash.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

They will provide you with repair options.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am in the same boat with you. My Chromebook is a refurbished one and the warranty has been expired. I thought it should be not worth to get it fixed by HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.