Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a HP Compaq 6710b and installed its OS, after installation I installed all the driver downloaded from HP website....but after installing all drivers a message is appearing on my startup screen that:

"Your BIOS failed to complete the update.  Please ensure that you follow the correct procedures and try again.  This may require two sequential BIOS updates to complete the process."

Don't know what it means and don't know how to fix it.  I've tried all 4 updates on the hp site to no avail.

all the system and its components are working nicely...but this message is making a very bad impact....please help me how to remove this message...if any file needed please specify the complete proceedure..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@kashifg wrote:

I recently purchased a HP Compaq 6710b and installed its OS, after installation I installed all the driver downloaded from HP website....but after installing all drivers a message is appearing on my startup screen that:

"Your BIOS failed to complete the update.  Please ensure that you follow the correct procedures and try again.  This may require two sequential BIOS updates to complete the process."

Don't know what it means and don't know how to fix it.  I've tried all 4 updates on the hp site to no avail.

all the system and its components are working nicely...but this message is making a very bad impact....please help me how to remove this message...if any file needed please specify the complete proceedure..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Which OS is installed and is it 32 or 64-bit?

Which BIOS update did you install?

Here is a link to an update for your notebook that should be installed to a Floppy, CD or USB flash drive. I recommend the USB thumbdrive method.  See the installation instructions and follow them to the letter.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

That happened to me to when flashing a 6910p to the latest version.

My solution was to flash to the version immediately preceding the latest one. I tried the 2 successive flashes (I think I tried 3), I removed the CMOS battery in hopes of clearing something out of the NVRAM. NADA. Plus I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette with all those BIOS flashes!

The latest revision for the 6910P also pertained to updating the video BIOS.

I think you don't need those revisions that refer to updating the video BIOS. You may want to even flash it back to F.14 because F.15 is the same kind of BIOS revision as F.16 on yours.

The version I flashed back to on the 6910p did not have an update to the video BIOS.

Lastly, don't flash the BIOS for the sake of flashing the BIOS. Only do so after reading the revisions and what they enhance or fix.  On my 6910p there were lots of revisions that fixed issues and I thought it would be a good idea to flash to the latest version. Little did I know the nightmare it would cause. So, now I have all the fixes I wanted -- just don't have the latest video BIOS revision, which doesn't seem to matter because my video is fine.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi, again:

One other thing...you mentioned you "tried all 4 updates on the hp site to no avail."

When you click on the revision history of the BIOS releases, there are a few more revisions you can still get.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Make sure you read all the details, instructions and release notes on EACH one you may try, because on some BIOS releases (I did a quick review, and found you cannot flash prior to F.10) once you flash to a certain version you cannot go back to an earlier version or you will turn your notebook into an expensive paperweight.

So proceed with caution...please do a thorough review of each BIOS release before flashing.  Also make sure your antivirus program is disabled when using the windows based flash or flash in windows safe mode.

I sure hope you can get that error cleared, because I know exactly how you feel right now. I thought I had permanently wrecked a perfectly good notebook.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Alot!!!

let me try .......then I'll update yiou with results..

thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi.. I followed both the proceedures but the message is still there..

the bios version is F.16

what should i do now...should i reinstall my windows?

HP Recommended

Hi:

No, that won't help to reinstall Windows.

It is a problem with the BIOS.

How come your BIOS still is on F.16 if you flashed it back to an earlier version?  It should be the version you flashed it back to like F.14 or F.12...

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi HP Support,

do need your help:

After upgrade of my BIOS version of my 6710b with latest Bios Version  from HP website:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356622&...

:

HPQFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS - Windows-based F.20 1 Dec 2011 2.6 56K: 6m 512K: <1m F.1812 Jul 2011

filename: sp55553.exe

my notebook doesn't respond anymore ! Ater following the instructions, saving my old bios end applying the new one, the notebook restarts but keep restarting, no F2, no F9, no F10, no F12....nothing ! It starts up, sound of the cdrom player, see the options menu...and restarts again....and so on.

Booting from cd or usb also is not working anymore. What did go so wrong, and how to repair this ??!!!

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards

Cota

HP Recommended
Same problem here.
How to roll biosupgrade back?
HP Recommended

Hi,
I had the same problem, corrupted BIOS, and i use this procedure for recovery it:

Make Hard reset, CMOS reset and follow instructions for recovery your bios:

Recovering the BIOS down on this page:
The BIOS recovery procedure requires a USB diskette (floppy) drive and a formatted diskette.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=...

Although this procedure was designed for older notebooks models, on my Compaq 6710b worked well. I have seen similar procedures with USB flashdrive or CD, but i think than compaq 6710b bios recovery have drivers only for USB diskette (floppy) Drive.
I hope this procedure helps.

Regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.