Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ10-100
Microsoft Windows XP

I have an old Compaq CQ10-100 running windows XP

Intel Atom and 1GB DDR2 RAM

As you've probably guessed it, it's not a very strong computer and is bad at almost anything.

Even just using the OS and opening file manager takes time. Opening a tab takes a long ass time and it won't keep open any other tabs except the one using.

In all other aspects the netbook works fine.

I've been wondering if I could upgrade the RAM to 2GB? There's only one slot and using the ram from another old computer (PC205300 667) didn't work, just a black screen. Perhaps another model will work? 

On top of that i thought about installing lubuntu operating system because of what i've read, it's made for slow computers and is very resource efficient and fast. 

Any advice is very welcome:)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AlexanderVK wrote:

I have an old Compaq CQ10-100 running windows XP

Intel Atom and 1GB DDR2 RAM

As you've probably guessed it, it's not a very strong computer and is bad at almost anything.

Even just using the OS and opening file manager takes time. Opening a tab takes a long ass time and it won't keep open any other tabs except the one using.

In all other aspects the netbook works fine.

I've been wondering if I could upgrade the RAM to 2GB? There's only one slot and using the ram from another old computer (PC205300 667) didn't work, just a black screen. Perhaps another model will work? 

On top of that i thought about installing lubuntu operating system because of what i've read, it's made for slow computers and is very resource efficient and fast. 

Any advice is very welcome:)

Hi,

No offense but I think this is the right time to buy a new computer with an updated operating system. Upgrading the ram wont help but its just going to cost you a fortune.

Regards

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended
I don't have money for a new computer.. Otherwise i wouldn't be writing this post.
HP Recommended

@AlexanderVK wrote:
I don't have money for a new computer.. Otherwise i wouldn't be writing this post.

Hmmmmm I see. When you go to safemode does the computer getting slow as well?

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Hi!

I haven't tried safe mode but i have uninstalled a lot of programs and installed lubuntu operating system. I'm very happy because the netbook works much better than before, actually quite satisfied how much changing to a very light OS can do.

I'm having no issues as of now but am still looking to see if it's possible to upgrade to 2GB RAM?

As said previously, this is compaq mini cq10-100 and i haven't been able to find if it does indeed support 2GB RAM and which one exacly? Because having tried PC2-5300 667 it didn't work.

Having seen this post

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Compaq-Mini-CQ10-400CA-Memory-Up...

I definitely can upgrade to DDR2 667 or 800MHz but model of netbook isn't CQ10-400CA...

Help?

And biggest thanks for your current support.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.