cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TechMayhem
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Compaq Presario CQ61-415sa Processor Upgrade

HP Recommended

For the last couple of days, i have been looking for a processor upgrade for my CQ61. Mistakenly, I have been participating in the CQ60 Threads but have now confirmed that the laptop (which I do not have with me, is in fact a CQ61-415sa).

Unlike the other threads, I cannot find any information on upgrading this laptops processor. Nor can I find a Service Manual. Nor any video guides online how to do this.

My processor is an AMD Sempron -- I am looking to upgrade to an AMD Turion X2 64...

Can somebody (preferably from HP) help me with this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hey TechMayhem,

Before proceeding - please be aware that replacing a CPU is a very delicate procedure, and definitely voids any warranty you may have, and could possibly render the system permanently non-functional. So, beware!

Anyways, the CPUs that are compatible with the CQ61 are:

M620 - Turion II Ultra @ 2.5GHz
M540 - Turion II @ 2.4GHz
M520 - Turion II @ 2.3GHz

Here's the maintenance & service guide for the CQ61 that will help you to swap out the CPU: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01868653.pdf
PLEASE NOTE: that service guide is for a previous revision of the CQ61, so some information & steps may be different. But it'll give you a good start!
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Also, here's a video of someone changing the fan on that model, it'll show you how to take it apart to the CPU level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p8g8_Kphvg
___
I am an HP employee.
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
TechMayhem
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@muka3D Thank You for the prompt and complete response 🙂

Just one question - the AMD M600 what would be it's Intel equivalent in terms of power.
The Core 2 Quad??

0 Kudos
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It's a dual core processor, so the closest equivalent would be a mid-range mobile Core 2 Duo, for example P7350.
___
I am an HP employee.
TechMayhem
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@Muka3D

What screwdrivers would be required. If multiple which kit to buy?
What thermal paste to be used? Arctic Silver? & How much to apply and spread?
0 Kudos
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
All of the tools you'll need are listed in the steps found in the maintenance and service guide. All you should need is a Philips 0 and a small slotted - like a 2.5x50 slotted.

I can't recommend any particular thermal paste, but any reputable high-performance thermal paste should be good. You only want to apply a thin layer, kind of like a coat of paint. More is not better, since it could be pushed off the heatspreader and cause all sorts of mess & chaos if too much is there. Too little is not good either, since it won't give a good thermal interface.

Once you take it apart, you'll see approx. how much thermal paste is there - you can use that as a good idea of how much you need.
___
I am an HP employee.
TechMayhem
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@muka3D

The following CPU's are not actually listed in the service manual:

M620 - Turion II Ultra @ 2.5GHz
M540 - Turion II @ 2.4GHz

However these are:

M600 2.4-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s
M520 2.3-GHz processor, 1-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s

Could you please confirm if your first post is correct?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correct - like I mentioned above, the service manual is for a previous generation of the CQ61. Mechanically, these 2 generations are very similar, but they do have different specs - like CPUs.

___
I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
TechMayhem
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@Muka3D But they will be compatible? If the M620 is installed correctly? Thanks.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation