Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

For the last couple of days, i have been looking for a processor upgrade for my CQ61. Mistakenly, I have been participating in the CQ60 Threads but have now confirmed that the laptop (which I do not have with me, is in fact a CQ61-415sa).

Unlike the other threads, I cannot find any information on upgrading this laptops processor. Nor can I find a Service Manual. Nor any video guides online how to do this.

My processor is an AMD Sempron -- I am looking to upgrade to an AMD Turion X2 64...

Can somebody (preferably from HP) help me with this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
Hey TechMayhem,

Before proceeding - please be aware that replacing a CPU is a very delicate procedure, and definitely voids any warranty you may have, and could possibly render the system permanently non-functional. So, beware!

Anyways, the CPUs that are compatible with the CQ61 are:

M620 - Turion II Ultra @ 2.5GHz
M540 - Turion II @ 2.4GHz
M520 - Turion II @ 2.3GHz

Here's the maintenance & service guide for the CQ61 that will help you to swap out the CPU: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01868653.pdf
PLEASE NOTE: that service guide is for a previous revision of the CQ61, so some information & steps may be different. But it'll give you a good start!
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
HP Recommended
Also, here's a video of someone changing the fan on that model, it'll show you how to take it apart to the CPU level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p8g8_Kphvg
___
I am an HP employee.
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

@muka3D Thank You for the prompt and complete response 🙂

Just one question - the AMD M600 what would be it's Intel equivalent in terms of power.
The Core 2 Quad??

HP Recommended
It's a dual core processor, so the closest equivalent would be a mid-range mobile Core 2 Duo, for example P7350.
___
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
@Muka3D

What screwdrivers would be required. If multiple which kit to buy?
What thermal paste to be used? Arctic Silver? & How much to apply and spread?
HP Recommended
All of the tools you'll need are listed in the steps found in the maintenance and service guide. All you should need is a Philips 0 and a small slotted - like a 2.5x50 slotted.

I can't recommend any particular thermal paste, but any reputable high-performance thermal paste should be good. You only want to apply a thin layer, kind of like a coat of paint. More is not better, since it could be pushed off the heatspreader and cause all sorts of mess & chaos if too much is there. Too little is not good either, since it won't give a good thermal interface.

Once you take it apart, you'll see approx. how much thermal paste is there - you can use that as a good idea of how much you need.
___
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
@muka3D

The following CPU's are not actually listed in the service manual:

M620 - Turion II Ultra @ 2.5GHz
M540 - Turion II @ 2.4GHz

However these are:

M600 2.4-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s
M520 2.3-GHz processor, 1-MB L2 cache, 3.6 GT/s

Could you please confirm if your first post is correct?
Thanks.
HP Recommended

Correct - like I mentioned above, the service manual is for a previous generation of the CQ61. Mechanically, these 2 generations are very similar, but they do have different specs - like CPUs.

___
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
@Muka3D But they will be compatible? If the M620 is installed correctly? Thanks.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.