Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I've been having issues with my laptop lately. When my computer comes back from sleeping, my taskbar is slow to respond (like when I plug in my battery, it won't show that it's charging until much later). I had issues of my laptop not being able to restart, and having to do a manual shut off by holding down the power button.

I went into event viewer today to make a summary of what happened, so here's what I wrote down of the things that happened around the same time. http://i.imgur.com/faF62pX.png

If there's any suggestions that people may think will help, please let me know. I tried restarting windows, it didn't work. All of my drivers are updated, and the issue is still persisting.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@JourdanK

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the computer has a slow performance when it's switched back from the sleep mode,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Have you updated the BIOS or any windows applications recently? 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find your product number: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

While you respond to that, here's a few things you should do:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. 
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

And if issue persists, try the following steps:

• Make sure there is at least 15% free space on the hard drive. For information about freeing up more space, see the Free space on the hard drive section of this document.

• Update the BIOS. Refer to the HP support document HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS or HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS. If there is no BIOS listed for your version of Windows, choose the latest version of Windows from the drop-down menu and install that BIOS.

• Update the graphics driver using Device Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. In the list of devices, expand Display adapters.

3. Right-click the graphics device and select Update Driver Software.

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

5. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the updated driver.

6. Restart your computer to complete the installation of the updates.

Keep me posted,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

My product number is L0Q40UA#ABA

I updated my BIOS again last night from the HP website. I tried updating the BIOS earlier this month to see if it would fix it, but it doesn't hurt to try twice right? Since trying the second time, and waking it up again from sleep, it hasn't had any ACPI issues, though DHCPv6-Client has had 1 error in the past hour, Perflib has had 10, and Perfnet has had 2 (I'm unsure if these can cause problems, but maybe it'll help find the issue?).

As far as windows applications, I usually keep them up to date. I go to the store, click check for updates, and then after that's done I usually go to settings and download updates from there.

Thank you so so much!

HP Recommended

@JourdanK

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You are right, it doesn't hurt to try the BIOS update twice if the first one didn't work or complete for that matter,

That said, which OS do you have currently on your computer? your product specification mention windows 8.1, is that right? 
Did you try all the steps I've suggested in my previous post?

If you have completed all of them, I recommend you create a new profile or local account to check if the issue persists as this seems nothing more than a windows OS error/glitch.

If you need help in creating a new user profile: Click here for details.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I actually upgraded to windows 10 home, version 1607, OS build 14393.969.

I tried doing what you had said and adjusted the appearance and performance of windows, but when my laptop came back from sleep again, it instantly slowed down, and I have 123 ACIP (event ID 13) within the last hour.

I'll try to create another account on this laptop and see if that works.

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

I tried logging into my laptop with a separate account, and the problem still existed.

HP Recommended

Hello, @JourdanK

Appreciate your efforts 🙂

I see that you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher. I would like to jump in with a suggestion!

I would recommend you try and disable few of the unused startup items. For some programs, it’s smart to have them start with Windows, such as anti-virus and firewall software. However, for most programs, starting them at boot-up just wastes resources and extends startup time. Right-click on your taskbar and select task manager. Go to the "Startup" tab. Select the items that are not used and disable them. Check if that makes any difference.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you run a system check to determine whether there is any hardware issue with your notebook.

• Go to http://hp.care/2bjZGry and follow the instructions to run "HP PC Diagnostics UEFI"
  • Once you open the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)" select "System Tests" and then select "Extensive test".

The System Extensive Test checks your system to make sure that the main components are functioning properly. It provides a more comprehensive test than the System Quick Test. These tests run consecutively through the listed components and can take 2 or more hours to complete.

If the System extensive test is passed, try the steps here: http://hp.care/2bFDPcU

Let me know the results. Good luck!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi!

While checking in the startup, I noticed something.

This was under the startup, and I'm not sure what it does, but do I need to keep this enabled?

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@JourdanK

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
Because I'm back at your service. 

That seems to be a screenshot of the task manager and is showing the startup items or processes,

it's normal to have that list, that shouldn't be causing an issue as such.

I recommend you complete the test suggested previously and get back to use with the results as that would define the issue and get us some clarity.

Eagerly awaiting your response,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

I used the UEFI test to see if there was any corrupted files. The only thing it found was that the battery needed to be calibrated, so when the test was done, I went to battery in the UEFI and did a test, then optimized it. It didn't work.

After trying that I went to your second link. I've updated my BIOS, updated the graphics, and made sure I had plenty of space on the C drive.

I defragmented and optimized my drives, performed windows updates, did the sfc scan, following with the dism.exe repair, compatibility troubleshooter, and deleted temporary files.

None of this has worked.

I should clarify that it's only windows (like the taskbar and stuff) that's bugging out. If I go on the internet, there is no delay. There is only slow performance with the taskbar and with windows overall.

Thanks for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.