Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear all,

I am an user of HP Pavilion dv1000 (PR428UA#ABA) Notebook, which is a very primitive model, but after upgrade the RAM to 1GB, I changed the OS from Win XP to Win 7, and this is useful for now. I feel it is faster than when it was on XP.

The problem is, I can't get the audio driver, Conexant Cx20468 @ Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1], for Windows 7.

Yes, I have already checked many posts in this forum and tried similar drivers such as sp40270.exe or sp37816.exe.

But it doesn't work.

Do I have to give this challenge up as it is too old notebook?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Jun:

Sorry that didn't work. I was hoping it would since it was an AC-97 audio driver.

I have one other easy idea you can try.

If you have your notebook connected to the internet, click on the audio device in the device manager. Click on the driver tab. Click on Update driver. Select the automatic search method and I am hoping Windows Update will download and install an audio driver for it.

I am pretty sure your notebook should be able to run Windows 7 including the audio.

If that doesn't work, try this complicated method... modify the XP driver to work in W7...but you should be able to do it. Just follow the instructions carefully:

1. Download driver sp30399.   You can get it from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-31530-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&...

2. Run sp30399.exe.

3. Go to the extracted folder (Default location is: c:\SWSetup\sp30399)

4. Edit qta3091.inf:
Search code block:
[Conexant]
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_3091103C

and add this line under:
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_0024103C&REV_02

So the result would look like this:
[Conexant]
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_0024103C&REV_02

Note: Copy this part from the Device Manager> Multimedia Audio Controller>Details>Hardware ID:
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_0024103C&REV_02

You may have a slightly different device description. If you want to be sure, go to the device manager, open the unrecognized audio device's property page, select "Details" tab, and select "Hardware Ids" from the Properties drop down list. Copy the top listed hardware ID string, and replace the device description I wrote down above, with the one you see.

So the final result would look like this (if you have a different device description.):
[Conexant]
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_INSERT YOUR DEVICE DESCRIPTION ID

5. Now all you have to do is to install the driver manually through device manager (Driver tab > Update Driver>Select the manual installation method, and browse to the extracted driver folder (sp30399).

Good luck, and please let us know if you get the sound to work.

Paul

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your aid, but no luck.

In this circumstance, I even think using this without sound 🙂

Jun

HP Recommended

Hi, Jun:

Sorry that didn't work. I was hoping it would since it was an AC-97 audio driver.

I have one other easy idea you can try.

If you have your notebook connected to the internet, click on the audio device in the device manager. Click on the driver tab. Click on Update driver. Select the automatic search method and I am hoping Windows Update will download and install an audio driver for it.

I am pretty sure your notebook should be able to run Windows 7 including the audio.

If that doesn't work, try this complicated method... modify the XP driver to work in W7...but you should be able to do it. Just follow the instructions carefully:

1. Download driver sp30399.   You can get it from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-31530-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&...

2. Run sp30399.exe.

3. Go to the extracted folder (Default location is: c:\SWSetup\sp30399)

4. Edit qta3091.inf:
Search code block:
[Conexant]

and add this line under:

So the result would look like this:
[Conexant]

Note: Copy this part from the Device Manager> Multimedia Audio Controller>Details>Hardware ID:
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_0024103C&REV_02

You may have a slightly different device description. If you want to be sure, go to the device manager, open the unrecognized audio device's property page, select "Details" tab, and select "Hardware Ids" from the Properties drop down list. Copy the top listed hardware ID string, and replace the device description I wrote down above, with the one you see.

So the final result would look like this (if you have a different device description.):
[Conexant]
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_INSERT YOUR DEVICE DESCRIPTION ID

5. Now all you have to do is to install the driver manually through device manager (Driver tab > Update Driver>Select the manual installation method, and browse to the extracted driver folder (sp30399).

Good luck, and please let us know if you get the sound to work.

Paul

HP Recommended

Dear Mr. Paul Tikkanen,

I would like to express my appreciation to you.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!

I also tried this with a half possibility, but it worked.

Thanks very much again, I think I could use my Pavilion for three more years 🙂

Best regards,

Jun

HP Recommended

Hi, Jun:

You're very welcome.

I'm happy it worked. I have used XP drivers for other stuff that wouldn't work in Windows 7.

Sometimes you just have to let the computer know who's the boss.  :generic:

Paul

HP Recommended

Who can help me to find the that driver? I try several but no match.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try the Vista driver for your notebook?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

You may have to try manually installing it if the auto install doesn't work.  You can do this by clicking on the missing audio controller in the device manager. Then click on the driver tab. Click on Update driver. Select the Browse my computer for software method and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp34567. Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if it loads that way.

You can also try installing it using the auto update if the manual update doesn't work. Maybe windows update has a driver from the windows update site.  You will need to be connected to the Internet for the auto update method.

Paul

HP Recommended

Dear Paul, dear all

i have a similar problem, but coulndt solve it. i use a hp compaq nx9005 (32bit). after upgrading to windows 7 i couldn find proper drivers for my audio. everything i tried ends with crashes after half a second to maximum 3 minutes (circa) of audioplay. i think i tried all the obvious drivers - that is diverse drivers for xp and vista. i also tried pauls proposal for the mentioned pavilion, editing the qta3091.inf (looking up my device description ID from the device manager).

As I edited the file blindly (i.e. not really knowing what im doing) maybe someone has an idea what other file to edit in what way – fitting to my good old calculating machine.

What else to do now? Buying a new one?

thanks!

helga

HP Recommended

Hi, Helga:

Please read this post below and try the suggestions.

http://laptop-driver.blogspot.com/2009/12/installing-conexant-cx20468-31-ac97.html

Please post back and let us know if any of them worked.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.