Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite X2 1012 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

We bought about 10 HP X2 Elite 1012 G1 along with Thunderbolt Docking station.

I setup the laptop then installed the drivers for Intel Management Engine and Thunderbolt dock.

Updated the firmware for Intel chipset as well.

Since we setup these laptops user complain about the dock not getting detected by laptop. No matter how many times they restart.

I went through each laptop and observed the following issues:

1- When I open the Thunderbolt software, it shows multiple HP docks in the attached devices with cross sign (which means the device is disconnected). It seesm that the Thunderbolt software creates multiple entries of the same dock then fails to detect it

2- When the laptop goes to sleep mode, the dock gets disconnected and then it doesn't get detected at all, even after reboot.

So far the only fix is as below: (which worked 90% of the time)

1- Uninstall both Intel management Engine driver and Thunderbolt Secure connect driver

2- Install both Intel management Engine driver and firmware + Thunderbolt Secure connect driver

BUT, this can't be a proper fix because in a corporate environment we can't go through this every single time. It's a total waste of time/money for a corporate. On top of that, users get frustrated by this issue that is ahpenning constantly.

HP PLEASE FIND A PROPER FIX. PLEASE ALLOCATE YOUR IT PROFESSIONALS AND DEVELOPERS TO DIG THROUGH THIS ISSUE.

We bought more than $2m HP computers and this issue is making us to switch to another vendor.

Best Regards,

Sam K

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

PLease try the below steps

To recover from this issue, disconnect the computer from the dock, then re-connect it to the dock. The dock is detected after the computer is reconnected to it.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I hope you understand that I'm not that naive. I already tried all the possible combinations to esolve this issue.

Disconnecting and reconnecting success rate was 50% only. that means it can't be considered as proper fix.

HP Recommended

Please, make sure you have updated all the f/w and drivers listed here

Elite x2 1012 G1 
Component NameCategory on hp.com Product Support PageSoftpaq #VersionHow to Verify
BIOS(BIOS)SP782471.19Bios F10 Setup à System Information
Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Utility(Driver - Controller)SP7677116.1.47.275 A2Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon à Settings à Details - "Controller Driver Version".
Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update Utility(Firmware)SP7493616.1.7.0.6D/L & unpack Softpaq. From folder, with Admin Rights, enter "ThunderboltUpdaterCmd.exe -d" in a command window
Intel Video Driver and Control Panel(Driver - Graphics)SP7755920.19.15.4483 F 8Right click on desktop à Graphics Properties (intel icon) à Options & Support à Information Center.
NVIDIA Graphics Driver(Driver - Graphics - Nvidia)N/AN/ARight click on desktop à NVIDIA control panel à System Information
AMD Graphics Driver(Driver - Graphics)N/AN/ARight click on desktop à Graphics Properties (at top) à Information à Software.

Thunderbolt Dock specific    
ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver(Driver - Chipset)SP790181.16.43.1Programs & Features or Device Manager à Universal Serial Bus Controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
Broadcom Ethernet Controller Driver(Driver - Network)SP7608017.4.0.1 A 1Device Manager à Network adaptors (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
Conexant Audio USB Driver for Docks(Driver - Audio)SP748761.31.36.14Device Manager à Sound, video and game controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
Thunderbolt 3 Dock DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware(Firmware)SP782123.10.005 Rev AD/L & unpack Softpaq-> Type "updatetool_trump_ver3.10 -v" in a command window. View update.log file for version info
ASMedia Firmware Update for HP Thunerbolt 3 Dock(Firmware)SP76208131025.10.11.23D/L & unpack Softpaq. Run with Admin Rights. At the License dialog hit Cancel. Go to  < C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\~sfx006C856A43 >. in CMD, run 'ASM104FWUpdate.exe /o /r /s'. Accept the License dialog.  See file ASM104xVersion.txt for details. Run 'ASM104FWUpdate.exe /?' for options
I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Updating the BIOS from 1.12 to 1.19 resolved this issue for this laptop but still some laptops with BIOS 1.19 fail to detect the dock. I think the way the Thunderbolt software is designed is not optimal. I think it cannot handle inputs from the dock. somehow it duplicates the registry entry for the same dock. Another thing is that the laptop charges upon connecting the dock which I guess doesn't require the Thunderbolt for charging.

I think developers need to do a proper investigation on this Thunderbolt software and resolve this issue.

I tried with 3 different dock and it didn't work. The same docks work with a fresh, out of the box laptop.

HP Recommended

Please, make sure not only the BIOS is updated but the other drivers AND firmware are up to date as well

as far as charging, i am not sure what the comment suggests. Part of the new USB-C  and USB 3.1 standard, if it supports Gen 2 mode, like the Thunderbolt dock, means the x2 1012 tablet will support Power Delivery (PD) to supply power to the tablet, so it will charge the battery and power it. same as if you plugged in the power brick to the usb-c port

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.